The Sewing Place

The start of something special

Deafoldbat

Re: The start of something special
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2017, 19:24:24 PM »
This is a comment, Diane, not a criticism: experiment with more value (light/dark) contrast. If things blend or 'go' together too closely the overall effect of a design can be lost. If you haven't got/don't want to buy more fabric for the moment, some squared paper and coloured pencils let you try things out first.

Diane

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2017, 19:42:36 PM »
This is a comment, Diane, not a criticism: experiment with more value (light/dark) contrast. If things blend or 'go' together too closely the overall effect of a design can be lost. If you haven't got/don't want to buy more fabric for the moment, some squared paper and coloured pencils let you try things out first.

Thanks for the advice, I need all the help I can get really. I see what you mean about the pattern getting lost, the Dresden sunburst I'm going to have a much darker background so that will help show the pattern up more.
I can't stop buying fabric at the moment, it's like an addiction. I'm just playing around at the moment with the blocks but the next one I do I'll try having more contrasting colour.
Thanks for helping
“I will not buy any fabric until I use my fabric stash at home,” I said. And then I laughed and laughed.

Frister & Rossmann QE404, overlocker Brother 1034d

wrenkins

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2017, 20:04:36 PM »
I struggle with that as well Diane. Mine either look like soup or a chess board. I can't find a happy medium!  0_0
You're churning out blocks fit to bust and you'll learn something different with every one.
I'm learning a lot from the BOM thread and also the quiltalongathon.