The Sewing Place

The start of something special

Diane

The start of something special
« on: June 02, 2017, 18:36:52 PM »
So looking forward to tomorrow, it will be the first day in my new sewing room  :loveit:: can't wait to get started on my blocks for my memory quilt although I haven't a clue where or what I'll be starting with. I was going to paint the room first but I do have two weeks off work so can do it next week, it is clean and tidy so I'm not that bothered  :D will have the house to myself all two weeks as hubby will be at work. Might quickly pop in to town to the fabric shop for just a quick look and maybe into hobbycraft on my way back, naughty really but I just can't help myself, I will try to be good and not buy too much :angel:
Will post some pics of my first block attempt
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lowena

Re: The start of something special
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 18:43:53 PM »
Ooh, good for you; there's nothing quite like starting a new project......enjoy  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Diane

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 18:52:33 PM »
Bought some lovely FQ today just couldn't help myself  :devil: it's going to be a kingsize quilt so will take me forever but I'm going to enjoy making it.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 19:03:27 PM »
Great fabrics, have fun  :D

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 19:55:45 PM »
Lovely colours!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

maliw

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 20:39:01 PM »
Oh I like your fabrics, gorgeous colours. Take your time and enjoy making your quilt, it's exciting deciding what to do.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

rubywishes

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 23:35:39 PM »
Oh yes, they are lovely fabrics Diane  0_0 have fun "nesting"!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lantana

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 01:38:59 AM »
Oh scrummy fabrics! How exciting the start of a new project in a new room and a fortnight off work! yay!!!!

L :vintage:

Diane

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 15:38:14 PM »
Well ladies as promised, here is a picture of my first ever attempt at a quilt block, I'm pleased with it, I don't expect it to be perfect but I'm sure I'll improve as I go along.

Vegegrow

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 15:44:35 PM »
that's really pretty Diane....well done
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Diane

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 16:10:19 PM »
Really enjoyed doing that, had my iPad and was watching Amy Gibson as I went along with the   :sew:
Do you think it would look weird on a quilt if I had a mixture of darker colours on some blocks as opposed to all pastel colours?

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 16:46:09 PM »
Not weird at all  :)
What a great block, you don't do anything by halves do you? My first 3 quilts were just different arrangements of squares! Go you!  :D

Diane

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 16:58:42 PM »
I thought I'd bitten off more than I could chew, but once I got started it sort of fell in to place.
Went to hobbycraft this morning and accidentally bought some extra templates (they were half price) thought it rude not to indulge. Got some lovely fat quarters as well.
Had to buy another cutting mat as mine was too small to take the 12.5" square template, needs must.
Just looking at my next block design, so many different patterns to choose from, not sure how many I'll need for a kingsize bedspread, will measure later.

Lantana

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 17:15:53 PM »
If thats your first block Diane I can tell you are going to go a long long way in this hobby of ours! Very well done! You don't do things by halves and it's wonderful. :flower: :flower: :flower:

The dark colours would look good in a quilt together with the pastels, make some blocks and keep playing with them until they look right. All the colour theory in the world can't make up for what looks right. Be daring stand back, try something else see what happens. Make visual decisions visually and develope your own style. :)

L :vintage:

Diane

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 18:09:41 PM »
I've never done any patchwork quilting ever, apart from joining those squares together as mentioned in one of my other posts.

I'll certainly mix up the darks and lights and like you say, just mess around with it until it catches my eye and looks right.

I did have a quick go at some free motion quilting earlier on, did it on some scrap fabric, will need to practice a bit more but I certainly got the feel of it. Ordered some quilting gloves to make moving the fabric a bit easier.