The Sewing Place

The Continuing Journey of a Giant Jersey Virgin

Iminei

Re: The Continuing Journey of a Giant Jersey Virgin
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 21:28:55 PM »
You can mix fabrics, but it's not usually successful if one is stretchy and the other one isn't.

For your hems I would use the blind stitch - the one that's three straight stitches then a zig-zag to the left.  Over cast the edge of the fabric, fold the hem to the required depth and pin, then turn the overcast bit out so that you can sew into it.  Then get it under the machine so that the straight stitches go on top of the overcasting and the zig-zag just catches the fold of the fabric.  When it's done smooth it all into place and press and all you will see from the right side is tiny stitches at each zig-zag.
http://sewway.com/blind-hem-stitch-with-a-sewing-machine.html

For the neck you need a strip of fabric with similar amount of stretch as the rest of the garment.  Cut a strip, maybe 2" wide and almost as long as the neckline - it does need to be stretched very slightly.  Join it to make a tube.  Fold in half (just like quilt binding!) and pin it to the neckline using lots of pins at right angles.  Once you are happy that it's evenly positioned all the way around sewi it on using medium width zig-zag or 3 step zig-zag.  Press that hem downwards.

Then put a twin needle into the Splurge  and straight stitch setting to sew all around the neck.  Right hand needle in the ditch and the left hand one will hold the zig-zag stitching down.

Have a look at any RTW tee shirt, it will be similar, except that the zig-zagging will be overlocked and the twin needle will be a coverstitch.

aaannnd my head has exploded!!!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 22:06:08 PM »
Would it help if I told you that I started sewing knit fabrics about two months ago and have had no problems treating them pretty much the same as woven?  Nobody told me I was going to have problems, and I haven't had any.

I have no overlocker or coverstitch machine, I have just used straight stitch and zigzag, although I did use a twin needle.

Common sense says that you shouldn't stretch the fabric while you're stitching it (although it also says it's much easier to absorb a little slack on stretch than on woven  ;) ).

I've even sewn woven to knit for the StyleArc Annika.  Easy peasy.

I have to admit that I haven't sewn anything super-stretchy, just normal stretchy, but I don't like super-stretchy clothes anyway.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lilian

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 22:30:58 PM »
You are doing really well Iminei, and, you will conquer it!  I was scared of stretch the first time I sewed it and I don't sew stretch much these days.  My overlocker gave up a few weeks ago and I had to buy another and I will try with that.  But your normal machine will sew it no problem, I used a very old F+R machine and it sewed stretch beautifully.

Well done so far  :toast:  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 06:55:45 AM »
This is a pic that I have found online of the DD top no 4......

Nice eh??
Now heres me  in my attempt...

WHY is that neckline soooo low ????? It looks better if you drape a bit of the remaining fabric over the neckline....
(here shown un-artfully draped for a quick pic with no mirror to check how if fell)

It wasn't hard to sew, all the seams are smooth and pucker free but what a waste of time and fabric and not something I want to make again with the lovely blue metre and a smidge that I was going to use.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:14:07 AM by Iminei »

Ploshkin

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 06:58:57 AM »
I wonder hoy many bulldog clips and safety pins are on the back of that top?
Life's too short for ironing.

Jo

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »
It really does look like the neckline is a lot higher in the picture and it falls a little lower on the shoulder. Maybe the draping fo the fabric has something to do with it?

Tamnymore

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 09:38:57 AM »
Sorry I've come rather late to the party so I  hope I'm understanding the story. First of all, Imi, I think you are doing fabulously well to wrestle with this frustrating book (where XL wouldn't fit round my ankle says she who recently sent back a pair if size 9 Doc Marten's for being too tight :'().

I know this is the bleedin' obvious but as the issue is the neckline and upper body if there's a way to fix this it may yet turn out ok. Is it in any way feasible to make the neckline smaller by taking out about 2 inches at each shoulder seam? I take it that these are not set in sleeves and that you have seams running from the neck down the sleev????? You could start with a 2" reduction at the neck and gently slope the seam so you end up at the same size at the bottom end of each sleeve. If you think this would work it would be worth pinning and then tacking those shoulder seams as suggested to see if you could lose some of that wide neckline.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Jo

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 09:43:45 AM »
I'm not sure how the neckline is finished. Does it have a facing (I'm asking because in the photo above I see it's finished with a band)? If not, you could try banding it and stretch the binding a bit when sewing, it might pull the neckline up.

Francesca

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
I can see/think of two issues.

1. The fabric you have chosen doesn't have the same level of drape as the one in the picture. Hers is very drapey, yours seems to have a more solid structure which is causing it to drape in a different way. Is this cotton jersey? Cotton jersey is often like that. If you want to try again I would suggest going for a very thin viscose jersey. That tends to have more drape. Or a slinky jersey (if you go on Fabworks website, you can search "slinky" and you will get lots of nice slinky jerseys come up. Slinky jersey has a shine and coolness to it and it's very very drapey).

Secondly, it is possible that a) you've stretched the neckline while holding, sewing etc. Necklines stretch out really easily if not handled with absolute care. No hanging the piece on the back of a chair, no picking up the garment from the shoulders until the neckband is sewn etc. It's really easy to stretch things out. Option b) you simply are shallower in the shoulder-to-bust length than the pattern is intended for.

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 09:54:01 AM »
I'm not sure how the neckline is finished

Neither neckline, hem or armholes are finished...
Sorry girls, it was the Capri pant Calamity all over again.... and I just stopped!!

The pics are really there in an FYI basis...just to show I did try and something was made! If i were to continue with this ghastly pillar-box of a thing ... I might attach the extra fabric in a way to make a draped cowl for the neck (like I know what that means)

I just wish I could find a simple top pattern for something that only needs a metre of fabric, cos I really do love the blue.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:58:20 AM by Iminei »

b15erk

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 09:54:16 AM »
Fran is right Im.  Some jerseys stretch out if you look at them!  I have one V neck top, where the V nearly lands on my navel!  The fabric needs stabilising and, if you have it, sewing with a walking foot.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 10:23:45 AM »
I am coming to the firm conclusion [long suspected] that 99% of these 'artfully draped' jobbies are totally unwearable in real life, by real bodies.  I trust no modelled photographs, they are always clipped and pinned at the back, and posed rather oddly.  Bin it, pic a more 'normal' pattern [I recommend StyleArc for knits] maybe sign up for the Tilton's T shirt class and pattern, which is human shaped, and interesting
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 10:30:56 AM »
I tend to agree with DF. The big 4 or Stylearc would be safer especially if you can find at least a few reviews on patternreview of normal people showing exactly what they made from a particular pattern. However I hope you can stlll salvage this top, Imi.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Francesca

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2017, 10:36:28 AM »
I just wish I could find a simple top pattern for something that only needs a metre of fabric, cos I really do love the blue.

There are thousands of patterns out there, you'll find something!

DementedFairy

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2017, 10:38:58 AM »
I bid thee get Style Arc Annika- great for using jersey AND woven oddments
Butterick 6287, heaven sent for Darksiders
SA Tootsie [more piecing]

Gazillions more
Go on

Go on go on go on go on
C'est moi!