The Sewing Place

Which sewing machine

Diane

Which sewing machine
« on: June 03, 2017, 20:24:51 PM »
I'm looking at buying a new sewing machine for my birthday in a few weeks time, I's there any particular make that you would recommend?
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Jo

Re: Which sewing machine
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 20:32:16 PM »
There are so many variables when it comes to a sewing machine that it ultimately matters what machine is good for your needs.
How much are you willing to spend? Are there certain features that you would really want?

Diane

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 20:45:10 PM »
I want it for quilting/patchwork, a variety of stitches and my budget is about £1000
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 20:59:20 PM »
If you are going to quilt get one with the biggest harp space you can as it makes it so much easier to stuff a lot of quilt through.  Also essential for quilting is a needle up / down facility though most good machines will have that now.
I'm more than happy with my Pfaff Ambition (except there is no alternative to the automatic buttonholes).
It's best to draw up a list of your requirements and see what fits the bill and give some a try out if you possibly can.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 21:02:11 PM »
Everyone is biased toward their own machine (which is why we stick with them of course)
and I think it may be worth you researching which machine you want, maybe trying a couple out in store (no obligation) and then, as show season is approaching taking advantage of the show prices!!!

Why not join us at the FOQ this year...every manufacturer is there with very good deals for the mid to upper range machines!

Me, I have The Splurge, which I adore ... but could do with a laser sight for all the straight line quilting that I do!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Diane

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 21:03:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I was just looking at a Husqvarna 690Q but I will do my homework. I have a shop that's local to me that you can try out the sewing machine so that might be worth a visit.

Lantana

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 22:30:02 PM »
The reason I found the forerunner to this forum was I was looking for specific reviews after I'd narrowed it down. There are just so any things to take into consideration!

For quilting the bigger the harp the better. I've got the Janome MC6600p and am very pleased with it. I bought it as at the time it had the biggest hapr but I think there are others bigger nowadays.

The other selling point for me was the acu-feed system ie a built in walking foot. Even if you do free motion quilting in the main sooner or later you'll find a walking foot handy for straight lines.

It also came with a large extension table also pretty essential for when you are sewing large quilts.

The down side is that it is very heavy (which can of course also be seen as a good point) but if you have a table you can keep it on all the time that really isn't a problem.

It doesn't have a free arm which would be handy but not essential if you get into sewing bags ... a lot of try blocks/techniques end up as bags!

I think you can buy machines that can regulate the free motion stitch but I've no idea which ones or how expensive they are! But as plenty of people do fmq without it and you are already getting the hang of it it might be a luxury too far. :)

I just looked up Sewing Machines Direct and was astonished to see that it is now selling for £1,399 but that it is in the sale for £999. Plus a free set of Mettler polyester threads.

Have fun in your search and try as many as possible till one feels right.  <3

:vintage:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 22:39:57 PM by Lantana »

Didi

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 01:59:03 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I was just looking at a Husqvarna 690Q but I will do my homework. I have a shop that's local to me that you can try out the sewing machine so that might be worth a visit.

I have that one and have been very pleased with it sews really well - apart from today when it was playing silly beggars but that turned out to be my fault - the throat is quite wide I have done straight quilting (straight lines is my limit at the moment)  on a double quilt with no problem.  There are enough stitches to keep you going for ever including some quilting ones and the automatic buttonhole is very easy. I would get the extension table at th same time if you are mainly using it for quilting

Diane

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 07:10:40 AM »
Thanks for all the comments, there's a lot to think about.

I currently have a horn table that the sewing machine sits in, this converts to a flat bed so it would need to fit in to that.
I'll narrow down my search by looking for a machine that is more dedicated to quilting and plow all my money in to that.
The machine I have at the moment is a Frister and Rossman QE404 which I will keep as it's useful for other sewing. It's a bit temperamental, I've had it about three years and okay it does the job but I want something a bit more tailored to what I do.

Diane

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 07:43:00 AM »
I think I've fallen in  <3 with a sewing machine
The Husqvarna 965Q , its twice the price I said I would pay  :'( but if I hold on a bit longer with what I've got then I can swing it. Hubby said I could have it for Christmas  :loveit:

What has this dark side done to me  :ninja: I've turned in to a  :devil:
I will keep looking as I'm not desperate, just want to upgrade to something much better that I know I would use a lot more.
Roll on Christmas
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 18:48:39 PM by Diane »

Jo

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 07:53:21 AM »
Ooooh, that is so pretty  <3
I'd also love a new sewing + embroidery machine (actually, I'd love an embroidery machine, but don't have space to have 2  + the overlocker, so I'll have to go for 2 in 1), but they are sooooo expensive. I've only been looking at Brother up until now (because that's what I currently have and I just love it), but maybe it's time to look at something else.

By the way, what features do you guys consider mandatory and which nice to have but could do without?

Diane

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 07:57:32 AM »
I also love the Husqvarna 960Q and it's a bit cheaper at £1399

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 08:11:46 AM »
Diane, Can I also play Devils Advocate here please???  :devil:

Now I do not know your sewing experience as you have just joined our lovely forum, but if your Dresden Plate block shows your level of skill I would say you are quite accomplished.

I also do not know how much P&Q you have tried or achieved before, but again that one block was very nicely done indeed.

You are setting off on your journey into the Dark Side with a pretty humungous project...ie a double (or was it King size ?) Memory Quilt ... not just a quilt of a certain block or pattern.
Not just  a sampler quilt but something you have to seriously work out and consider, a one off!

Yes, With a quilt that size (unless you delve into the underbelly of the Dark Side ie QAYG) the largest Harp space possible would be a bonus, nay is a necessity,

but before you go and splash the cash...

try a smaller project... a wall hanging, bag, lap quilt or similar.
Practice your piecing, try WF quilting ( and the Devils own, FMQ if you insist .... shudder!! ...)
to make absolutely sure you love this Dark art ...

It would be heart breaking if you bought the spankiest machine around only to find in a month or twos time that it really isn't your cup of tea !!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Diane

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 08:30:58 AM »
All advice is welcome so please play devils advocate by all means :)

I've dabbled with sewing for years on and off, making clothes, bags, curtains and all sorts of things, never thought of myself as an accomplished sewer but I suppose I am really.
I've used a walking foot before and also yesterday tried the free motion sewing, it seemed to come naturally to me although practice makes perfect.
P&Q is definitely for me, so peaceful/relaxing to do and with a stressful job, I need this when I'm not working. No doubt the dark side is for me.
I'm not going to buy a new machine just yet, it will be at least a couple of months so I have plenty of time to make sure it's what I want. I don't think I could justify spending the £2000 but certainly don't mind spending £1300 on the husqvarna 960Q.
Also having my own sewing room has helped massively, go in shut the door and stitch away, perfect.
I work full time at the moment but hoping to go partime next year so I'll have even more time to spare.

StitchinTime

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 09:22:31 AM »
Diane, would you consider an ex-demo machine? I got an ex-demo Husqvarna machine several years ago that happened to be a quilters edition (which is how I started quilting). I found it reassuring to know that the machine had been "tested" in a controlled environment and that any niggles would have been sorted.

I got mine from Jaycotts, but Sewing Machines Direct and Hobkirks now also stock Husqvarna and list their ex-demo machines on their websites. I think Hobkirks have one of the models you're interested in listed at the moment.
https://www.hobkirk.co.uk/special-offers?page=all