The Sewing Place

Sewing + Embroidery machine

Pearl

Re: Sewing + Embroidery machine
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2017, 20:36:21 PM »
There is an Atelier 7 for sale on facebook.  I'm trying to resist temptation, but I may have messaged the seller.  Hopefully someone will buy it before she gets back to me.

Iminei

« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2017, 06:39:53 AM »
LINKY ???????

How am I (or Fran ... I know she desperately wants one and it is Christmas soon) meant to save you from yourself if we don't know where it is ????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2017, 07:24:53 AM »
I've tagged you.

Francesca

« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2017, 15:58:13 PM »
It is my dream machine *drools*. Boyfriend has his dream Jaguar XF, but I have my Atelier 7  <3

I hope one of you manages to snag it!

Iminei

« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2017, 16:29:04 PM »
What makes the Atelier 7 over the 5 Fran ... Im guessing you would know !

Francesca

« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2017, 17:07:17 PM »
It has an updated computerised interface in comparison to the 5, an increased number of stitches (240 I think). Don't know if the 5 has the auto presser foot lift or knee lifter either. It's got a few features more but the 5 is still pretty nifty!

Sewingsue

« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2017, 19:48:14 PM »
They both cost an arm and a leg (and possibly several other parts).
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Iminei

« Reply #142 on: November 28, 2017, 09:24:11 AM »
Yes to the knee lifter, though I have never even fitted it let alone used it
and No to the auto presser foot, which I can imagine could be a neat addition!

Kenora

« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2017, 21:25:10 PM »
Cautionary tale about knee lifters :S

I used mine for the first time and trapped my sciatic nerve. Result:- excrutiating pain and a large monthly bill from the osteopath, which is still ongoing 12 months later.  :devil:

Post script:- I've learned to live without a knee lifter. :D
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lowena

« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2017, 11:30:11 AM »
 :D Tried mine once, couldn't see the point and hated it. It's packed away again now  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

supergran

« Reply #145 on: November 29, 2017, 18:53:32 PM »
I love mine. It's especially useful if you are doing quilting and having to turn the quilt round a lot.

Francesca

« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2017, 19:30:05 PM »
I quite often find myself holding delicate pieces together and needing to turn or otherwise raise the presser foot. I think it'd really help.

Jo

« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2017, 15:45:47 PM »
Not sure about the 7, but the 9 has a pivot function, as in it lifts up the presser foot when you stop sewing (needle up or down, however you choose). Not all the way, just a little bit so that you can pivot your work. It's AWESOME and I use it all the time. Never use the knee lift as I can't really reach it properly with how my machine is set up.

Iminei

« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2017, 10:51:56 AM »
Hi Jo, long time no see ?!?
Can you turn that auto presser foot lift option off ie manually lift the foot when you wish ???

This is the only thing that is annoying me (I think)

I understand it being useful when you want to pivot during sewing but when I have finished chain piecing I would like to lift the presser foot, and perhaps here we have the nub of it, lower the presser foot myself when I start sewing so it doesnt CLUNK down!

I love the ability to alter the needle position but I would like to know what the increments are.

Jo

« Reply #149 on: December 15, 2017, 15:23:19 PM »
Imi,  long time no see indeed :)
Yes, you can turn the pivot function off as well as the automatic presser foot lift. I'm not sure what you mean by the "Clunk", as mine lowers very smoothly, both from the button or the presser foot. In any case, you can turn that off and use the lever if you want to.
The increments for the needle are 0.1mm :) 4.5 mm is the middle position, and you can adjust 4.5 mm to the left and 4.5mm to the right (from 0 to 9 mm).