The Sewing Place

Janome J3-20 buttonholes - grrrr

sewingj

Janome J3-20 buttonholes - grrrr
« on: June 04, 2017, 15:15:24 PM »
I`ve got a Janome J3-20 which I regret buying but I can`t afford to replace at the moment.  (When I bought it I didn`t realise I was going to get addicted to sewing again).  In theory it does automatic buttonholes - and it does do them fairly well on flat stable material - but on anything a bit stretchy or if it encounters a slight change of level it has a tendency to "stall" and you end up with a wodge of many stitches which are almost impossible to unpick.

I `ve tried guiding the fabric along (pulling/pushing) and that does help but it`s easy to overdo it and end up with the stitches too widely spaces.

Any ideas please?

Syrinx

Re: Janome J3-20 buttonholes - grrrr
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 15:43:53 PM »
Have you got any tear away stabiliser? Will help support the fabric but you can pull it off after stitching :) I do it a lot with embroidery on that sort of fabric. It gets ironed on, supports and then tears off like a dream :) I would imagine the sort of stitching that happens with buttonholes is similar to embroidery.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 18:15:33 PM »
Thanks - I haven`t got any stabiliser but will give it a go - it`s certainly worth trying as it`s very frustrating getting close to finishing a garment and then it being spoilt by a dodgy buttonhole

Diane

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 19:04:14 PM »
Would it help if you starched it before sewing the buttonhole?
“I will not buy any fabric until I use my fabric stash at home,” I said. And then I laughed and laughed.

Frister & Rossmann QE404, overlocker Brother 1034d

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 20:21:29 PM »
Yes stabiliser underneath.  You could also try a wash away stabiliser on the top.  Make sure buttonhole areas are interfaced first. 

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 22:53:52 PM »
Have you tried taking some of the pressure of the foot, there should be some kind of button or screw at the top of the machine.