The Sewing Place

Choosing a Vintage Machine (for new to hobby folks)

Roger

Re: Choosing a Vintage Machine (for new to hobby folks)
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 19:40:27 PM »
My immediate thought on reading your piece was if the electrics on the pre-WW2 machines may be dodgy, how easy is it to convert one these days? Are there kits available and reliable tutorials? With something like this I'd want the confidence of a recommended tutorial rather than just finding someone who knew more than I do (that's far too easy to achieve).

Hi Jackie,
I have to say I'm squeamish about doing electrics, because the motors are generally external on earlier machines they tend to be fairly straightforward relatively, but I like a nice PAT test to go with and the reassurance that comes with having someone practiced doing it. when I got my 201k2 rewired it was £40 inc PAT test, and £25 for a service.

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Roger

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 19:57:00 PM »
Im a massive fan of the templated buttonholers. They are ingenious and so easy, a friend gave me some hot air about how easier button holes are on modern machines, these you just stick in the template and its good to go, pretty much. the ones I like best are Griest's, but his were rebranded for everyone. They have a maximum of 10 templates, including an eyelet one, and another quirky one.

Helen Howes is great, very knowledgeable and amazing at finding parts, she also serviced and rewired my 201k
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Surest1tch

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 17:39:26 PM »
I keep reading about the 201 and it's making me so nostalgic I want another one.  My grandmother gave me an old treadle 201 when I was about 10 years old, I loved that machine so much.
 After just leaving school I came home from work one night to find my mum had put it in part exchange for a new electric machine which I wasn't allowed to use. I wouldn't have minded but she can't sew and never had any interest in sewing until I started my tailoring apprenticeship and to my knowledge she never used the machine.
I have got a Singer industrial machine now which is very similar to the 201 but it doesn't like fine fabrics.
 What do I do? 😢

Maximum

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 12:13:07 PM »
What do I do? 😢
There are plenty of nice 201s looking for a good home! They are cheap to keep and lovely to have but brace yourself before you lift and don't expect the handle on the case to take the weight😃. Always a good idea to have spare machines and the vintage ones don't bear a grudge if you ignore them for months. Please send pics when you find her.