The Sewing Place

Ploshkin

Re: Best hem for jersey?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 12:53:28 PM »
You could use strips of fusible knit interfacing.  I think English Couture sell it.
Life's too short for ironing.

dolcevita

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 13:52:58 PM »
Quilting shops sell some brilliant stuff called Steam-a-Seam Lite.  As long as I can find the box in all my clutter, I always use it before sewing a hem on lightweight jersey.  Thoroughly recommended.

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 14:26:21 PM »
The stuff Jessie referred to which came from a pound shop will be bondaweb or something similar - not suitable for jersey as it doesn't stretch.

I don't think the knit-n-stable tape is available from anywhere not in USA, but strips of fusable stretch interfacing would do the same job.  There are several options on Amazon, and at least one is eligible for Prime/next day delivery so it must be in a warehouse this side of the Atlantic. Minerva have some as do Jaycotts and no doubt lots of other sources too.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 16:25:05 PM »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 16:55:42 PM »
About that, I just wanted to post this video from Margaret Islaner in which she explains her method of sewing without pins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zyTaEfo-J0
After trying it, I have never had a side turn longer than the other, even without using a walking foot. I rarely pin now, only when sewing opposing curves mostly, but my stitching is better than when it was when I was pinning the heck out of everything.
That was interesting!  The things I never knew!  Thanks for the link  :)

Jo

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 19:40:52 PM »
You're most welcome! I have learned a lot from it.
Those things (and more) are covered in Janet Prey's classes on Craftsy. But this is free on youtube and those are paid :D