The Sewing Place

All my machines (Showing off)

Lyn-J

All my machines (Showing off)
« on: June 06, 2017, 09:16:53 AM »
I've never had all my machines under one roof until yesterday.
They are normally out and about with family members being used, but they've come home for a bit of TLC.
It feels so greedy having this lot. All were bought new and they've all been well used and are still going strong.

Six Berninas and a Pfaff
P1020370 by Lyn-J, on Flickr

The sewing machines
P1020369 by Lyn-J, on Flickr

The overlockers
P1020367 by Lyn-J, on Flickr

Here's the list:
Bernina 790
Bernina 1500 MDA
Bernina 1300 MDC Coverstitch
Bernina 730 Record
Bernina 180 e
Bernina 344 Overlocker
Pfaff 1473 CD

Lowena

Re: All my machines (Showing off)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 09:57:09 AM »
Wow, good for you, if it is your "thing". Personally I can't see why anyone would have more than on machine ( or more than one of anything - can't understand "collections" ) but yours look very at home and comfy together  :) :sew:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

elephun

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 10:03:14 AM »
It's a family portrait, or a family reunion, or something like that. What fun!

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »
Lovely collection, and that little Pfaff, and the Bernina 730, look very familiar.....  :)  <3

Mine are all over the place.  It would be nice to get some photos of them though....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Maximum

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 11:00:27 AM »
Thanks for sharing, that's quite a collection and one to be proud of. I think the Pfaff needs some company in amongst all those Berninas  ;)

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
Blimey!!!!!  :o

You lucky Duck!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »
Personally I can't see why anyone would have more than on machine

Different machines do different things!  and if you sew regularly, or lend them out, you need back-ups.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lantana

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 11:46:30 AM »
Great collection  :) I do understand collections but sometimes wish I didn't  0_0 (waves to Lowena)

I've bought a fair few machines over the years but have usually given the old ones away to friends or sons girlfriends. I really wish I'd  not given away my first computerised one, an Elna can't remember the model but I'd bought it because of the speed limiter.

:vintage:

Lyn-J

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 17:14:13 PM »
Oh no no no ! Not collecting ! They just won't go away, Honest  :S
Let me explain.

I normally have the one sewing machine, one coverstitch, one overlocker, plus vintage-sentimental-value  730 Record. I bought this as a teenager, my first big purchase. (actually my second but that's another story.) I can't see more acquiring any more.

DD2 has the 180e and older overlocker, but they are residing here whilst she moves. DD1 and DGD3 have the Pfaff, but she is here for TLC and for me to relearn so I can teach DGD3. This is the first time she's been back "home" for about 5 years. DD1 has a Pfaff 100 (?) so she has company. They are only all here for a couple of days, the first time they have ever all been together. I tried to sell the older ones on but they were claimed by my daughters  :) I wouldn't have got very much for them and couldn't trade them in.

The older ones have all had a good 15 years of being my main machines. I've always made all my own clothes, The 730 used to pay for itself every year, not so with the more modern ones.

I think it would be like to own one of the pretty-pretty hand cranked Singers. But it wouldn't get used and I don't really have anywhere to display it, so no.

arrow

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 15:38:21 PM »
Does the 730 Record get any use next to a new 790? You certainly are a Berina girl lol  Very nice machines all of them. I like the old machines, use them, but they are electrical and I would not mind trying out the buttonholes on a 790, and the stitch regulator :- )

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 16:20:59 PM »
Mmmm nice collection of sewing machines, Lyn-j. I wonder what the collective noun for sewing machines should be. A coven of sewing machines? A murmuration of sewing machines?  ;)
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lantana

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 17:00:04 PM »
Mmmm nice collection of sewing machines, Lyn-j. I wonder what the collective noun for sewing machines should be. A coven of sewing machines? A murmuration of sewing machines?  ;)

Either of those names would be ideal so maybe a 'murmurating coven'  :)

Lanty  :vintage:

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 18:07:31 PM »
Different machines do different things!  and if you sew regularly, or lend them out, you need back-ups.

I do agree with this but then, with my stable, I suppose I would say that. I've got sewing machines and overlockers spread over two households and one coverstitch machine (so I'm not really that bad....I don't think). I could imagine getting down to 2 sewing machines but I wouldn't be happy to do so and I'd find it an impossible choice to go lower because they have different strengths and weaknesses - the Pfaff's IDT is wonderful with pernickity stuff but the old Bernina's great for everything else (so far).

I'm not including my recent vintage gals in that  :vintage: - I'm keen to discover their buttonhole capabilities and have already repaired a handbag which I wouldn't have forced on any of the others.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lyn-J

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 19:32:32 PM »
Coven of Beninas - I like it   :D
The coverstitch and the newer overlocker get refereed to as the evil twins.  The are all called anything beginning with B depending on how well they are behaving.  :S
Berninas now have IDT - copied from Pfaff.  :o
The 790 is very powerful, it manage to sew through the stop on a metal zip.
I do use the 730 occasionally - she never throws hissy fits!

Marniesews

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 20:27:34 PM »
Berninas now have IDT - copied from Pfaff.  :o

That's true but you have to spend in excess of £2K for it on a Bernina  :S whereas you can get it for £500 on a Pfaff. That's one thing that I particularly admire with Pfaff, they don't restrict it to the mega £ machines. If you can't afford that either, fortunately there are many years of second-hand Pfaffs with it too.  :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.