The Sewing Place

Are all faux suedes created equal?

elisep

Are all faux suedes created equal?
« on: June 06, 2017, 13:11:45 PM »
My newest crusade is to make myself some riding breeches... every pair I have in my wardrobe have mysteriously shrunk  :|  :(
I'm making full seated breeches and need "Ultrasuede" for the seat. Now, if I understand correctly, Ultrasuede is a trade name, and any faux suede should be suitable?
Does anyone have any advice for me? It needs to be hardwearing... as you can imagine the seat of a pair of breeches gets a bit of wear!!
I've found some on Ebay in various colours for a good price (and free shipping from the UK!) but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good quality faux suede online?

Thanks!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Jo

Re: Are all faux suedes created equal?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 13:14:41 PM »
Either Ultrasuede or Alcantara will do. Be careful of other faux suedes, as they are not all created equal and some would not be suitable at all. Some label suedette as faux suede, but that just wouldn't be hard wearing enough.

arrow

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 14:18:54 PM »
Alcantara is practical, can be washed. I had a faux suede once, in 100 % cotton. I remember it because at the time I didin't know it was possible to make fabric look that much like real suede, I think it might have been a sort of peu de peche.

dolcevita

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 16:18:20 PM »
The faux suede that we get here in the fabric shops varies enormously in quality, but some of it is quite good and I've made a couple of pairs of trousers from it.

It sews really well, washes really well and generally seems pretty hard to kill.  The most surprising thing about it for me was the lack of stretch.  I know wovens generally have very little stretch, but there is usually something there.  The faux suede, though, has ZERO stretch.  If you're making trousers and especially something that you'll need to move in, make sure you have enough ease built in.  Just because it will fit okay when you're standing nice and straight, doesn't mean it will be comfy when you're sitting and moving around.

The other thing to be aware of is static - I don't recommend walking across any nylon carpets whilst wearing faux suede, unless you like the Alfred Einstein look for your hair.

Syrinx

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 17:31:42 PM »
Full seat breeches are on my list too - I found a great website for the ultrasuede but now I can't remember it! :(

It's important to get good quality stuff though as otherwise you'll have a hole in your breeches!

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 14:18:47 PM »
I can't bear to touch it to be honest, it's just one of those things that make me cringe.  Does it have to be faux?  Would the real suede be to stiff or expensive?  When I worked for Harry Halls we used to use moleskin (fake) on the better breeches, if that's any help.