The Sewing Place

Golly Gosh - a Featherweight!

SingingSinger

Re: Golly Gosh - a Featherweight!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 07:24:12 AM »
Oh my, what a find! I love charity shop treasure. I once found a Kenwood Chef for £5 and a Brother knitting machine which was 'make an offer' so I paid £10. Never seen any sewing machines though :(
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 18:31:38 PM by SingingSinger »
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Sewingsue

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 09:45:50 AM »
I once found a Kenwood Chef for £5
A working one?
Seriously?
Now that would have been a real bargain.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Surest1tch

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 11:03:16 AM »
I'm seriously jealous, what beauty

Manuela

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 16:17:50 PM »
If your case looks a bit tatty, it can easily be revampt, or stripped off and made look completely different. One of the cases of my Fetherweights looked really bd, the fale lether coating came of in big chunks. So, I decided to explore wht's underneath. After a lot of elbow grese sanding it down, and severl coats of wax, this is how it looks now.

LeilaMay

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 18:19:08 PM »
That case looks nice, good job!

I have said before, and now repeated to that charity shop that I will happily come in and give them an opinion on any vintage sewing machines before they go up for sale. But you can only offer can't you? If they don't choose to, then I will buy bargains if they offer them up  :)

SingingSinger

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 18:31:11 PM »
A working one?
Seriously?
Now that would have been a real bargain.

Yes, a 1970s classic in good working order with attachments. I was well pleased!
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Marniesews

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 13:05:07 PM »
Fabulous find.
Best of all, with such a low price, is it's gone to someone who knows its real value and will treasure it for that rather than someone who only knows what it's worth in £££ and will just get it up for sale quick to make a profit.
 :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Roger

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 00:45:54 AM »
Awesome find and so lucky.... I keep an eye open at our local carboot for the unidentified 'black record case'.... no luck yet. :)

But I'm really glad you found a lucky one!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 10:00:13 AM »
I lust after this machine like no other.  I dragged Mr Acorn round a load of charity shops yesterday (actually he's a willing accomplice) but we didn't have your luck...

Car boot sales... they're probably a better bet, but they start so early!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 10:56:36 AM »

Mr will rewire the plugs, it's in pieces and needs replacing anyway so will be nice new black wire when it's done. I will have to clean and service the machine, and together we will take a look at the internal wiring and the motor/brushes etc.

I'd be interested in any tips and hints on this, as I snagged myself a featherweight last year, and it was indeed smoking a bit when we first rigged it up, although the actual sewing action was smooth.

I did some googling, and spoke to Helen the sewing machine expert, and cleaned it all up, but I'm cack handed with anything electrical so passed it onto the missus.  She's UBER cautious though, and is wary of venturing far intot he thing.  Any help appreciated!
C'est moi!

Roger

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 11:53:17 AM »
I tend to give anything electrical im worried about to John, Helen Howe's other half, hes pretty reasonable (30-60) for a rewire, and you get the PAT cert and dont have to worry about it yourself :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

DementedFairy

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2017, 12:01:51 PM »
That may be the plan then, thanks
C'est moi!

LeilaMay

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2017, 16:32:19 PM »
I'd second the recommendation of John and his work.

But for those who like to work on their Featherweights themselves, I would recommend the tutorials on this site - absolutely fabulous resource

https://singer-featherweight.com/

You'll find a whole loads of instructions and videos under the 'schoolhouse' section but the whole site is worth looking through.

best wishes

Efemera

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2017, 07:53:19 AM »