The Sewing Place

Craftsy thingies

Hachi

Re: Craftsy thingies
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 22:46:28 PM »
I second Jo's recommended list. I have many of the classes she listed.

I LOVE Suzy Furrer's classes. So much to learn from her, and her teaching style is clear and concise. All of her classes are worth every penny.

I like Janet Pray's Sew Faster class, especially the Garment Industry Secret class. She's also a good teacher, confident and she knows what she's talking about. I have learned more efficient way to sew (no pin sewing and order of construction).

I also liked Susan Khalje's The Couture Dress class, but it may have been discontinued?

It's neither garment sewing nor quilting, but I liked Annie Unrein's classes. I have travel organizer and backpack class. very pleasant to watch and it's a fun project, too.

One thing I would say is that to pick a class with the coupon code you have, and just wait to buy other classes. Craftsy runs the $19.99 sale all the time and I have not paid more than that for any of the 40 classes I have. They do sometimes run even bigger sale for limited selection of courses (I just got Fast-Track Fitting class for $12.99).

It sucks that you have to pay VAT though.

Maximum

Re: Craftsy thingies
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 23:23:34 PM »
I also have several Craftsy courses and can recommend Suzy Furrer, Beverley Johnson and Alison Smith.
Their pricing/exchange is strange and if you query it you don't really get a sensible answer! If you buy through the app it used to be about 50p more than using the website but they might have sorted that.
Be careful of imported fabric or patterns as I believe some people have been caught for customs duty and tax (not cheap) and no way of refusing to pay.
Craftsy seem to be having more and more sales lately. Put classes on your wish list and you might get an offer, ignore them for a few months and you get an offer and always remember that they really do refund in full if class is not what you expected.
I have learnt a huge amount from the classes I have. You can add your own notes so you can easily find a particular section and I have downloaded classes onto iPad so I can watch up the garden where the internet doesn't reach. Some tutors speak quite slowly which is soporific but you can speed them up - no need with Suzy Furrer, she cracks on!