The Sewing Place

V1395 Rebecca Taylor

b15erk

V1395 Rebecca Taylor
« on: June 08, 2017, 09:59:18 AM »
This is a pattern that I bought from Fran.  It looks just my style - if a little short.  I'll be making the first iteration in a totally man made fabric that I've had for years (and years).  I've already made a top in it, so I know it's easy to sew.

I need to trace, then lengthen the pattern (rotten knees), and check for any alterations first, but hopefully, I'll get cut out before I leave work.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

Re: V1395 Rebecca Taylor
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 11:12:24 AM »
Yessss! Lovely!

I did really like this pattern. The reason it failed for me was just because I needed massive adjustments above the bust to make it not loose and baggy around my shoulders.

The little back ruching pleat detail is lovely and is one I will copy over onto other patterns.

I also found the ties a little stubby. Not too bad but if I was going to make again, I'd make them longer and slimmer.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 11:24:02 AM »
Ooooh, thanks for that Fran!  Note to self: make the ties longer.  :)

Looking forward to doing this, it looks nice and straightforward.  Fabric is nice weight and drapey, but I've also got a nice piece of linen/rayon mix in mind.....

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Missie

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 15:15:23 PM »
Ooh, like that pattern.  Really like the fabric as well.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 15:53:00 PM »
Thanks Missie!  Fabric has been in the stash for donkeys years (bought I think for my mum), and pattern bought from Fran.

Traced the pattern, and made alterations as much as I can at this stage.  I've lengthened the body and belt - not altogether straightforward.  I have a feeling the bodice may need narrowing, we'll see.  I'll wait until later to see if the tie belt needs any more off the width.

This needs a lot of fabric.  Skirt and bodice are fine, but I had to use the fabric  across the grain to fit the overbodice on.

I was thinking while I was cutting, that the overbodice could be done in a sheer.....

I may get to start sewing it tonight, if the 'visitors' go at a reasonable time!  ;)

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 08:58:58 AM »
Visitors (Lilya and Mummy) only left at 8.30, so too late for me to start sewing last night, especially after a 5am start yesterday, but I did have a look at the destructions.  That took a couple of minutes ...... :)

First thing I realised was that I've cut the front on the fold  ><, so I'll need to sort that out, but on the whole it looks pretty straightforward - as long as the alterations I've done are OK.  I have a feeling that I may need to narrow the shoulders, we'll see.

Jessie

Missie

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 12:22:02 PM »
First thing I realised was that I've cut the front on the fold  ><, so I'll need to sort that out,

Does that matter? Unless you've included the seam allowance!

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
I seem to remember that it does because of how the neckline is faced (which is a lovely finished method, btw)

Pinkstar

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 19:40:31 PM »
Lovely fabric and pattern Jessie.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 09:06:53 AM »
Well, everything was going swimmingly.  The undertop went together really well, although you can't really check for fit at this stage, as the armholes are left open at the shoulders.  I was pretty confident though.

Then I lifted the overtop out.  Total disaster.  What I hadn't noticed when cutting out (how could I have missed it?), was a dirty great batch mark, made with permanent marker!!  :o

I've tried to remove it with hand cleaner, and soap and water, but to no avail.  I would be grateful for any suggestions to remove it.  It seems pretty permanent to me.

Why oh why, couldn't it have been on the under bodice?

I've joined the back seam, and done a rolled hem, but the joy has gone out of the project - for now.....  :(

Pics below.

Jessie

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 09:18:29 AM »
The only thing that'll remove permanent marker is acetone. It'll smear and smudge and spread and look horrendous but just keep pouring. You've nothing to lose at this point. Good luck.  :S
Try nail polish remover and if that works a bit but not completely you may be able to get acetone from your local independent Pharmacist. Don't go to Boots, they'll look at you blankly.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:20:54 AM by wrenkins »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 09:25:49 AM »
Oh Jessie, I really feel for you.  I honestly don't think I would have noticed it before cutting out either (pity they couldn't have used red).  I hope you can find a way to rescue it.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 09:36:31 AM »
Thanks girls.  I have to say, it was a toss up between throwing it out of the window, or bursting into tears!

I'll try the acetone wren, I have some spare fabric.  OH suggested brake cleaner, which apparently removes most things, (probably including the pattern as well  :S).  I will try suggestions on spare fabric obviously, but I have no great hopes.

I may have to make a design feature of it, and whether to patch over it, or cut it out, and try to replace it.  Not madly keen on either...

Jessie

Francesca

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 09:50:52 AM »
It might not work but, I seem to remember the back overlay was very loose fitting. Is there enough ease in it that you could sew a tapered centre back seam, closing the seam beyond the pen mark? I seem to remember you said you lengthened the ties, which would give you even more room to do this.

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »
No Fran, the mark is just too far away from CB. 

I've gone off the boil with this for a while.  Going to clear my mind by cutting out a new project. 

When I get home, I'll try to get the mark out again.  Google may well be my friend....  :S

Jessie