The Sewing Place

Quick question ..... Urgent !!!

Iminei

Quick question ..... Urgent !!!
« on: June 08, 2017, 10:57:47 AM »
The destructions for the Zephyr jacket Im attempting to make for the Japanesesewalongathon
state that I'm to use 1/4" seams???

Sewing Instructions:
Notes:
All tissue pattern (all sizes included) is available for $5, shipping included. Make check payable to Heidi Emmett, PO Box 208,
Cedar Ridge, CA 95924. Put the pattern desired in the ‘For’ line of the check.
¼” seam allowances are used throughout. Zig-zag the edges of seams for a nice finish.
To lengthen the Zephyr Jacket, add desired length to the bottom of each of the three pieces following the pattern lines.
Instructions are for the Basic Jackets pictured. Check my blog designsbyheidi.wordpress.com for more fun and unique jackets
from this pattern.

Surely that's wrong???

Your urgent advice is needed as The Splurge is chomping at the bit to get going .....Vrrrooommm, Vrrrooommmm
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Jo

Re: Quick question ..... Urgent !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 11:03:06 AM »
No, you can use 1/4" seams. I use them with stable knits all the time. If you'd rather have a larger seam allowance, just add more on the fabric before cutting (I sometimes do this as opposed to changing the paper pattern as I am a little bit lazy...ok, a LOT).

charlotte

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »
Yep, lots of people like 1/4" seam allowances because there is no need to trim after sewing.

I don't, purely because the 1/4" mark on my machine is hard to follow, so if it was me, I would increase them to 1/2" by eye as I cut (because I'm lazy like Jo).

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 12:24:07 PM »
¼" seams are not uncommon but not used by the big pattern companies where 5/8" is the norm.  As the thing you are making is not fitted you probably don't need the extra wiggle room afforded by a bigger seam allowance. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 14:06:30 PM »
Thx Girls,

I have used a 1/4" seam where it does not matter and a normal seam allowance whatever that is for the construction....

Next Question :

Why ???

I copied the pattern religiously but still find that the edges of the neck do not match up... (had this before too, so must be something Im doing methinks)

Vegegrow

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 14:12:13 PM »
so these pieces don't have different seam allowances?
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 14:15:43 PM »
Dont think so...

I changed the 1/4" to 1/2" or whatever as I had to match notches and my notches were 1/4"  hahahahaa !!1

It looks fairly eeeenormous anyway and Im more comfortable turning something through if I have more allowance to play with for the closure.

I have had this problem before and I usually just eyeball it ...Is that right or are the couture police on their way???

BTW Vege ... :loveit: Thank you x

Jo

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 14:30:02 PM »
Can we see a bigger picture maybe? :) I usually match everything on top and sew towards the hem. That way if anything doesn't match up I might do a bit of cutting or whatever. Easier to fix than if it doesn't match on top.

Francesca

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 14:39:04 PM »
Did you size up your seam allowances before cutting? You didn't just sew them 1/2" even though you cut them for a 1/4"? (Just checking).

Have you read fully through the instructions? Looking on her website it looks like there is something going on around that part of the neck that should be in the instructions.

charlotte

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 14:42:02 PM »
What happens to the neck? Is there a facing piece that only goes around that longer bit?

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 16:50:33 PM »
Nice pic Fran...

She wants you to sew a covering bit and turn under the edges, which I suppose is what she is showing there.

Actually if it stands up there and I follow the line with a good crisp edge , maybe it will come up as a sort of  'upstand'.

I shall get my  thinking cap on...

Oh dear! Doomed I tell ye ... We're all Doomed !!!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 16:54:31 PM by Iminei »