The Sewing Place

I need some whatsitcalled fabric...

Bodgeitandscarper

I need some whatsitcalled fabric...
« on: June 08, 2017, 11:47:25 AM »
... but as I don't know what it's called, I can't look for any on t'interwibble.  Can anyone tell me what it's called?  Maybe you need some clues though - something like sweatshirt material, but a bit lighter, or maybe a heavy jersey-type stuff.  I want to make a summer cardi/jackety thing, that looks really casual, and is easy to wear, and not delicate.  Oh, and not warm, I have lots of built-in insulation of my own  :|
 Maybe some of you lovely people may have some ideas?  Since moving to the Lincs coast, I'm miles from anywhere that may have a decent fabric shop  :(  I do so miss Abakhan  :(

Syrinx

Re: I need some whatsitcalled fabric...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 11:57:16 AM »
Abakhans have a website you can buy from ;)

Can't help on what it's called though!

Maximum

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 12:03:02 PM »
Do you mean Ponte? Also called Ponte de Roma and various other permutations on that theme with spelling variations as well :'(. It is a knit but fairly stable. Maybe we need more clues? Ponte is usually polyester or a poly mix so might be quite "warm". A cotton Ponte is possible but harder to find

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 12:13:25 PM »
I know what I want, but I'm not even sure it exists!  Probably mainly cotton rather than poly, but I'm open to any suggestions.  The only thing I can think of is loopback sweatshirt stuff, but in a light weight - but I'm not sure that's possible.  I did wonder about ponte, I've heard of it, but dunno what it feels like, is it a bit sort of stiff?  Or is that "scuba" I'm thinking of? 

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 12:17:27 PM »
I've seen a sweatshirt type fabric called French Terry I think.  I believe it has a  looped back rather than a fleece back
Life's too short for ironing.

Maximum

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 12:39:08 PM »
I think Ploshkin has got it! Look up Fabric Godmother and search for terry jersey. There is a clear picture of both sides in the grey marl colourway. It will be cooler than Ponte and have more drape. Scuba is much thicker and spongy (I don't need padding but it makes nice cases for phones, kindles etc)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 14:17:59 PM »
That may be just what I'm looking for, thank you so much ladies, I knew you'd be able to help  0_0

Now I just need to find some cheap!!

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 16:57:33 PM »
Or is that "scuba" I'm thinking of?

?????????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

maliw

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 17:54:55 PM »
Is this any good?
https://www.thetextilecentre.co.uk/collections/jersey/products/polycotton-plain-darkish-denim-sports-jersey?variant=25430648648
Have a look in their jersey section, you may find something you like.
I love the TC and I bought a couple of pieces of a lightweight jersey from them last year to make cardigans -
http://www.stylearc.com.au/stylearc/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=966&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45
I wore them for my holidays and they were very useful
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

SkoutSews

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 18:12:43 PM »
Ha! Maliw I was just about to post something similar, you beat me to it! I have some of this one, waiting to be made into a summer cover-up https://www.thetextilecentre.co.uk/products/100-cotton-striped-print-sports-jersey?variant=21114149316

maliw

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 19:35:09 PM »
Oooh I like that SkoutSews - tempting :devil:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 20:15:14 PM »
Is this any good?
https://www.thetextilecentre.co.uk/collections/jersey/products/polycotton-plain-darkish-denim-sports-jersey?variant=25430648648
Have a look in their jersey section, you may find something you like.
I love the TC and I bought a couple of pieces of a lightweight jersey from them last year to make cardigans -
http://www.stylearc.com.au/stylearc/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=966&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45
I wore them for my holidays and they were very useful
That looks perfect, must order some once I've finished tonight's sewing - McCall's M7485 is my jacket pattern.  Just made it up this time in some odd jersey fabric that has kinda two layers, a very thin backing and a self patterned front.  It's lovely, but not as casual as I want.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 22:34:13 PM »
In actual fact, I've ordered both of those fabrics, they are so cheap, and there was 10% off too   0_0
Thank you again  0_0

SkoutSews

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 23:24:11 PM »
Glad you've found something, hope it's suitable when it arrives at your door!

maliw

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 22:02:54 PM »
I hope you are happy with your fabric when it arrives Bodgeit, I've had quite a few pieces and never been disappointed.