The Sewing Place

Jeans alteration?

b15erk

Jeans alteration?
« on: August 07, 2017, 12:09:20 PM »
I've just inherited a pair of jeans from DD - I snaffled them from the charity shop bag, as I liked the fabric.

The problem is, they are quite big on me - 2" plus, and as the fabric is stretch, they are constantly falling down. I need to know if there is a fix for this - preferably one involving minimal unpicking!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Jeans alteration?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 12:29:05 PM »
Braces??   0_0
Sorry, sounds like unpicking to me... good luck...

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:33:58 PM »
Hmmpph!  I had an idea that may be the answer!  The braces I mean  :D :D

I've got a pair already unpicked, so I may try the repair out on those, before starting in on these.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Manuela

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 13:16:54 PM »
If it helps, more often than not topstitching and seams of jeans are sewn on chainstitching machines, hence unpicking could just mean finding the right end of the seam....  ;)

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 13:56:38 PM »
Manuela, I noticed that when ironing OH's jeans the other day.  Never thought about it making life easier on the unpicking though  :S .....   My thought was - oh good, I now have a chain stitch machine, so I can match the stitching up! ;)

Watch this space for the alteration - it could take some time....  :S

Jessie

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 19:44:05 PM »
What I sometimes do is make a cut in the inside waistband at the sides and thread through some  wide elastic... roughly the same depth  as the waistband.. stitch down one side, pull to gather and then stitch at the other side...

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 20:53:07 PM »
If it's mainly the waist you could try what I do and put darts in (inc the waistband) then stitch elastic to the inside of the back of the waistband. 
My hips are out of proportion to my waist.