The Sewing Place

Pyjamas!

dolcevita

Re: Pyjamas!
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »
I would make them the same size.  This isn't so much because of the piping but because of the 'turn of the cloth' effect. 

When you're making a collar from a thicker fabric, the upper collar needs a little extra to wrap over the undercollar.  As the PJs will be in a finer fabric (this counts for blouses, too) there isn't so much bulk for the top collar and lapels to wrap around, so you shouldn't need to worry about the turn of the cloth effect in this instance.

Marniesews

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »
I'm a stretch pyjama person generally and not even that excited by those but it turns out I'm another who thinks those paisley pjs look really lovely.  :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

charlotte

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 23:35:06 PM »
The fabric I wanted was sold out  :'( so I chose this instead:

:D

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »
 :loveit:  That is gorgeous!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

maliw

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 09:50:49 AM »
That is fabulous fabric, as for pj's well there's pj's and pj's in my book. Those dressy ones are lovely but I wouldn't wear 'bed' pj's outside. I  wear loose trousers all the time especially in summer but they are a bit more fitted than pj trousers.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

charlotte

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 10:33:38 AM »
So I have nearly finished one pair of pjs.

I have mastered managed:
  • Piping
  • Piped pockets and buttonholes (some are better than others but as long as nobody looks too closely they are all passable)
  • A sewn down elastic waistband (rather than a casing)

Really happy with how they are turning out. I also did a sort of cross between a lining and an underlining on the jacket, where I sewed the darts first (combination of balanced and slashed darts) and then put the pieces together for a nice clean finish on the inside.

I have a few 'lessons learned' for my second pair as well.

Picture coming soon!

charlotte

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 15:22:10 PM »
Finally finished!!

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 15:43:37 PM »
Plush!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

jen

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 16:15:20 PM »
Very special. The fabric is lovely. I went through a phase of making night to daywear pjs, when the dog was at puppy stage. (Like the pajama mums on the school run). If the fabric is right, I reckon it's ok. If you scroll down on this blog http://thatsnotmyage.com/ to July 26th post there's an outfit which is quite similar to pjs.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2017, 17:24:28 PM »
Sumptuous fabric, what was the name of your first choice?  Makes me think of Moominland.  Was it bought satin binding for the piping, or did you make your own?  Sadly not much choice available where I live.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

charlotte

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »
Thanks!

The first fabric is called desert landscape, but unfortunately was a few seasons ago so not that widely available. (I had Liberty coins, so limited to what was actually in the shop).

Yes, I got by bias binding ready-made from eBay. I think I'd have gone mad making that much satin bias tape!!