The Sewing Place

Greetings from Denmark.

evalon

Greetings from Denmark.
« on: June 08, 2017, 20:39:28 PM »
Hi All,

Pleased to be here - looks like a fine forum :)

As a brief introduction to myself I can say that I'm Danish, male, and probably in a foreseeable future may/might (as time allows) will be making a tent, and also some other things involving fabric and a sewing machine. Although not entirely "excellent" I do have a sewing machine and on the days where we mingle fine I sometimes sew a bit. But I am not at all an expert & time for such sewing projects admittedly is limited.

That said - greetings from Denmark  ;)

Jesper

Jo

Re: Greetings from Denmark.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 20:52:30 PM »
Hi Jesper  :drink: Nice to meet you!
Welcome to the sewing place  0_0 Hope you'll enjoy the forum

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 21:26:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

My first memories of using a sewing machine are of helping my Dad make a large ridge tent ⛺️ which was subsequently used for many family holidays.  0_0  I was perhaps 8 or 10 at the time, he decided that buying a sewing machine (a hand crank Jones  :vintage: with a shuttle and long bobbins) and yards and yards of canvas would be cost effective.  It also involved many hours helping stitch dozens of felled seams and also watching him turn the poles on his lathe, and make ferrules to join them.  Each one was slightly different so each half was carefully numbered.

I know the tent was eventually passed on and I think in the end it wore out but sadly I don't know what happened to the machine.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 16:45:52 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 21:35:15 PM »
Welcome Jesper. I'm new too but it looks like fun.
What is it with dads Brenda? My father's one and only enterprise on the sewing machine was to reupholster a three piece cottage suite. Start small why don't you?????  :o
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 21:41:58 PM »
Dad was a design engineer - huge air conditioning plants mostly, but he no doubt thought of the tent as being an excercise in engineering (relatively) soft materials.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 21:43:17 PM »
Welcome Jesper, looking forward to seeing the tent.  :drink:  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 22:35:17 PM »
Hello and welcome Jesper

Hachi

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 07:21:45 AM »
A tent! I am very interested in the process (especially the waterproofing and grommet attachment). Hope you will share your creation with us!

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »
Hi Jesper and welcome from me too.

As you can see, your tent has really got us interested. We like something a bit different so please do provide lots of pictures and information as you make your way through the project.

What sort of machine are you going to be using?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 12:49:43 PM »
Oooh a tent! I have a love for bell tents, they're so gorgeous. Sadly boyf says no and we have to go with a more sporty tent but I've convinced him with a faux bell tent style (cream with a centre pole but in lightweight materials and with a room at the back).

maliw

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 20:06:12 PM »
Hello and welcome from me. Hope you enjoy the forum.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

violetpastille

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 06:24:36 AM »
Hi Jesper! Welcome!

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 13:07:17 PM »
Welcome from me too - you can see you have sparked our interest - no pressure! It's all straight lines - no worries!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !