The Sewing Place

Invisible zip placement

dolcevita

Invisible zip placement
« on: June 09, 2017, 11:31:15 AM »
This is more of a handy hint than a tutorial.

The dress I'm making is V8787 and has a waist panel thingy (not sure of the proper name) and a centre back zip.  When you're making this kind of dress, the alignment of the horizontal waist seams at the centre back is quite a focal point and it screams when they are only slightly off.  Keeping them absolutely level when putting in a zip can be a frustratingly tricky job.

First off, line up the two centre back seams with one another to make sure that they are, indeed, exactly the same length.  If you're happy that they are, you need to make sure that the zip is inserted evenly too - it's incredibly easy to put one side in with a little more stretch/ease than the other, and it can throw things out.

Super simple tip - lay your zip along the centre back seam and then chalk mark both sides and both faces with where it lines up with the waist seams.  You can see where I've done this on mine.  You can now put the zip in and be sure that the whole thing will line up at the end.

SkoutSews

Re: Invisible zip placement
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 14:01:14 PM »
Thanks, that is a good tip.  Like all the best ideas, it's very simple.
Nice pattern, by the way!  What is your fabric?

dolcevita

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 14:26:24 PM »
Thanks, SS.  It's V8787, a fairly old but highly adaptable pattern.  The fabric is a printed cotton lawn that I bought at Joanne's in Bournemouth a couple of summers ago. I'll post the finished dress in the wardobe section later on.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 16:25:32 PM »
Simple idea but not everyone would think of it.  Worth a mention.