The Sewing Place

HSTs

wrenkins

HSTs
« on: June 10, 2017, 10:48:33 AM »
Today I will be making HSTs.
The more accomplished among you will be rolling eyes and saying "so what?"
Well here's what...I've never done them before.  :S
I'm using a funny wee method I came across so I've had my "hard sum" head on working out what my finished size will be.
It's the non-seasonal side of my sis-in-law's table runner using a variation of May's BOM.
Wish me luck.  :|
ps is it absolutely essential to starch...I'm aware of bias stretch and so on.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

Re: HSTs
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 11:00:51 AM »
Have fun...

There are many ways to make HST's from the traditional, to the new (to me) one that I learned last month (as shown in May's BOM )

Which method will you be using ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 11:07:43 AM »
I found a method which entails sewing two squares RST all the way round and then cutting in four across the diagonals. It looked quite neat to me but then don't forget...I know no better!  -<
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 11:37:27 AM »
That's not how I would do it but good luck. I don't like having to draw on every square, so I won't be trying Imi's new way either.
I just line up the squares ( not too many at a time ) and cut then diagonally - then sew in pairs.
I never starch anything.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:41:04 AM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »
I've never starched either but then I've never done triangles. It seems a lot of people use it. I'll give it a go and see if it makes any difference.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 12:40:42 PM »
Please let us know if it does

rubywishes

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 12:49:11 PM »
Wrenkins, starch is optional, not necessary. It can be helpful to keep your fabric/blocks from stretching particularly when you are going to be dealing with bias edges which can be difficult to manage if you don't handle them carefully. But do be mindful that too much starch can make things awkward to.  Finding your own preferred method for making HST's might take you a few "goes"....try some different methods and while practising them always pretend you need bigger HST's than you really need......that way you have plenty of trimming room to cut your HST down to the perfect size.  :)
You'll be whacking 'em out in no time with not a second thought to it!!!!

:o gasp...Lowie...you cut the squares into triangles and then sew them together......you actually voluntarily cut and sew triangles together......really? I pay homage to you....Lordie, even the promise of a very fine Shiraz would not see me happily cut and sew triangles....eek....shudder....it's all coming back to me......eyes misting over, perspiration beading my forehead.......
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 13:10:54 PM »
Yep, 'fraid so Rubes..... I find it soothing :D I do think of you though, every time anyone mentions hst  :devil:
Rubes is right, Wrenkie, try different methods until you find your fave, cut them bigger and... enjoy; they're so useful and versitile

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 13:17:51 PM »
I found a method which entails sewing two squares RST all the way round and then cutting in four across the diagonals.

That is making quarter square triangles, not half square triangles.

The difference is that HSTs have two sides cut with the grain and one side on the diagonal.  SQTs have one side cut on the grain and two on the diagonal - and overall is a little less stable than a HST.  Could be useful though if you are playing with stripes and plaids.

Also if you are making an on-point design and need setting triangles it's better to use QSTs so that the on-grain sides are parallel to the edges of the quilt; but you wouldn't use a stitch and cut method for making setting triangles.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 13:18:55 PM »
That's not how I would do it but good luck. I don't like having to draw on every square, so I won't be trying Imi's new way either.
I just line up the squares ( not too many at a time ) and cut then diagonally - then sew in pairs.
I never starch anything.

Me too.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 14:15:01 PM »
You're right of course Brenda. I was working on the theory that half the square was a triangle. Not how it was constructed.  :|
Oh blimey. I knew I should have stuck to log cabin!  :[
So far they look ok. As for stability...we'll see.
I thought the worst bit was going to be looking at fabric that really isn't my thing. (Purple  :x)
The other good news is that I have given myself plenty of scope for trimming. I'll crack on and see how it goes.

Syrinx

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 17:51:30 PM »
I can't be bothered with squares and cutting them up after sewing. I chop into triangles and chain piece for ages until the are all done. Much easier and I waste less as my sa are spot on.

I never use starch, I'm just careful with my bias edges!

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 18:10:31 PM »
Yes the trimming was a bit of a faff but until I'm sure what I'm doing I'll do what makes sense to me.
I haven't done any P or Q in about twenty years and I've just bought a new machine so it's all a bit WWAAHH at the minute. When my bobbin ran out I sat and looked blankly trying to remember what to do.  -<
My old machine is calling to me!!!!  0_0

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 19:34:08 PM »

HST 's

QST's

As far as I am aware.

And Wrenkies method, as far as i recall, will yield 4 HST's per 1 matched pair of squares....

Of course if you then take 2 of the resultant HST's put them right sides together pattern to plain, sew and cut again you get QST's

Maybe I should do a tut on all the different methods of making HST's ??!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Deafoldbat

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 20:24:36 PM »
I can't be bothered with squares and cutting them up after sewing. I chop into triangles and chain piece for ages until the are all done. Much easier and I waste less as my sa are spot on.

I never use starch, I'm just careful with my bias edges!

Same here. 'Quick' methods aren't always the best methods. Also, if using scraps, you get more variety, not all fabric A with fabric B.