The Sewing Place

Well you won't be expecting this .....

Iminei

Well you won't be expecting this .....
« on: June 12, 2017, 19:08:50 PM »
The other week, delving into my UFO box for something or other I discovered my blocks from both the Star block swap and the Christmas block swap ....

Well after an insane amount of sashing and cornerstones (it never seemed to end!) I have a completed UFO, if that makes any sense.

Please excuse the flipped over right hand (as you look at it ) side, It was really windy!

I wish I had squared each block up with added black strips before sashing as it all looks a lil crowded to me but hey ho...Its not an exhibition item, its something that has been made with love by my friends from the Dark side and will be used with love too!

I plan on embroidering your names beside your blocks like Sakar (?) did ...
but that is in the future, after I have found the backing fabric.
Not more black...really shows the pet hair and lint ... or red ...too much red already ...

Any ideas?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ellabella

Re: Well you won't be expecting this .....
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 19:14:59 PM »
Very dramatic, looks wonderful and so warm and cosy. 0_0

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 19:17:31 PM »
I think the fact that they are a bit crowded makes it all the more striking.  That's what made me go wow when I opened the picture.
How about that lovely bright orange in the big spiky star for the backing?
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 20:39:54 PM »
When the sky is clear the stars are crowded into it, and I think the slight crowdedness in your quilt is brilliant too.  Each block stands out in its own right too.  Best of both worlds.   0_0

It's a beauty.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 21:16:49 PM »

but that is in the future, after I have found the backing fabric.
Not more black...really shows the pet hair and lint ... or red ...too much red already ...

Any ideas?

How about this?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sakar

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 21:28:49 PM »
 0_0  Hey Imi, your stars are really really great!!!! I love these warm reds and oranges and yellows  <3  And your sashing is fantastic too!!!  :D You have always such surprising ideas and I love them!!!!  0_0

Congratulations for your patience and your endurance!!!

And yes, I embroidered the names of the quilters beside the stars.

Vegegrow

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 22:06:59 PM »
Star positioning is just right Imi  :loveit:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Zigzag

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 22:08:45 PM »
Wow, i love this beautiful artistic piece.  Congratulations, it looks perfect to me  :toast:

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 22:11:06 PM »
That's wonderful, I like the striking colours.  How about PINK for the backing  :fabric:  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 22:17:30 PM »
That's wonderful, I like the striking colours.  How about PINK for the backing  :fabric:  :vintage:
Ooh yes - the pink of the petals on the grass.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 07:10:05 AM »
Thanks Girls......

How about that lovely bright orange in the big spiky star for the backing?

WOW Brenda !!!!That might very well be it,

What do you girls think ??? Or is it too in your face, Do they do that in a blue ??? mmmnnn

Can you soften Wax fabric (without ruining your washing machine), When I had some (unused) it was very stiff !
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »
Oh I love your quilt Im and I don't think it is too crowded at all and the backing Brenda linked to is just perfect.....wandering off now to make tea whilst humming "Starry Starry Night" by Don McLean. 
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 09:14:12 AM »
Wonderful quilt, and the backing fabric, just inspired!

What a lovely idea.  <3

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

QuiltySisty

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »
Looks awesome Imi! I'm yet to put mine together as they got packaged up for the move, I must look them out sometime and put them together!

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 15:31:29 PM »
Very nice  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D