The Sewing Place

Rotary Cutter Novice

sewingj

Rotary Cutter Novice
« on: June 12, 2017, 19:33:33 PM »
I`ve had a Clover rotary cutter for a while and was disappointed that it became blunt quickly.
 I`ve just put in a new blade and have now realised that when I cut with it the blade isn`t turning round - so the same bit of it is being used all of the time and getting blunt whilst the rest remains unused.
 The instructions are to tighten the screw tightly but have I got it too tight? Or should I be trying to move the blade round a bit manually (risking injury)?

Jo

Re: Rotary Cutter Novice
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 19:38:46 PM »
Can you post a picture? At some point I put a washer or something the wrong way and the blade was stuck. It's definetly supposed to rotate when you cut. Do not try to move it manually, it's of no use anyway and you risk cutting yourself.
I also got 10 blades from ebay for like 2 pounds. Very good deal.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

sewingj

Re: Rotary Cutter Novice
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 19:53:54 PM »
After playing around with it a bit (carefully!), I reckon I had got the screw too tight.  The instructions say "Remember to tighten the screw firmly" and I think I have been doing it too firmly!

I am now cross with myself because I am wondering if I did the same with the first blade and it was actually only blunt in one section