The Sewing Place

Pearl snaps?

Fiona M

Pearl snaps?
« on: July 07, 2017, 18:54:59 PM »
I'm making a shirt, which I fancy using pearl snaps on.  What size/brand would you recommend, and is there anything else I should know?

Ploshkin

Re: Pearl snaps?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 19:33:52 PM »
Try one out on a spare piece of fabric first.  I've recently had nightmares trying to find snaps that could be properly installed and snap together easily and in one case be able to be pulled apart again once closed.  I gave up and used buttons.  I didn't try any pearl ones though.
Also, if you do get them, make sure the fixing tool comes too.  I bought one lot and had to get the tool separately when I found they didn't come with one.
Life's too short for ironing.

Holly Berry

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 15:11:40 PM »
I saw some the other day made by Trimmits. I believe Hobby Craft sell them.
Procrastination get behind me

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 11:28:59 AM »
Did you find these Fiona?  I have plastic Kam snaps, which are great for Kids stuff, but not so for grown up shirts!

I like the idea of the pearl ones, I've seen it several times on rtw.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Fiona M

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 15:04:09 PM »
I haven't bought them yet.  I was looking at some Prym ones.  I sort of went off the idea after Ploshkin's warning!   :\

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 16:24:08 PM »
I used Prym ones, found them on eBay.  They always make me nervous when fitting them though- you always waste at least one!
C'est moi!