The Sewing Place

Stuck screw on 201 finally loosened!

arrow

Stuck screw on 201 finally loosened!
« on: June 13, 2017, 13:22:58 PM »
I've had this machine for around 3 years now (I think). It's a black cast iron 201K, with motor and pedal. It cleaned up fine when I first bought it, and it turned out to be my favorite machine ever since (I have a freearm model with zigzag and lots of stitches right next to it, which is nice too).

After replacing motor belts, bobbin tyre, and a lot of cleaing and oiling, a center screw under the bobbin case gradually caught my attention. I never was able to loosen it, but last night it came out effortlessly. The only thing I can imagine is that repeated oiling and using the machine the last few years has done something.

I had the bobbin case out last night. By now it's self made dust and fluff I clean out, production of it seems to be endless though. I made an attempt at the center screw and it came out with no effort at all. I could tell I had managed to clean rather well by poking cotton buds and tooth picks from under the base of the machine as well as above. There weren't any troublesome grime and dirt if anyone else should worry about similar stuck screws. 

There is one good reason to get this part out though. It has springs for for the bobbin case closing ring. If these springs are reluctant to click in place on the side of the locking ring they might be packed with dirt and grime. I already had noticed this trouble on my machine, but couldn't get the part out. I poked these clips as clean as I could with toothpicks and pins, and I managed rather well. I didin't really know this though until I had the part out too inspect behind the springs. I cleaned out a bit of dried up oil and grime, but it wasn't absolutely a must.

To sum it all up; with a bit of effort this area can be cleaned with the part in place. It was nice to have it confirmed though. If a screw or part is stuck, what works are: oil, clean, keep on oiling and cleaning, use the machine and be patient :- )

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 18:22:17 PM by arrow »

Vegegrow

Re: Stuck screw on 201 finally loosened!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 14:01:49 PM »
Well done Arrow ... perseverance pays  :vintage:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

arrow

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 16:36:32 PM »
I use Finish Line Ceramic Wet lub, it's really made for racer bike chains, but it's very light, has few additives, and they are teflon and nano particle size ceramic which are there to minimise friction and make it super smooth. It's the second time this oil loosens something that's been stuck for years. Last time it was a rusted nut and screw on a plug, it took around 3 weeks to work and a yet again added a drop of oil to the nut to see what happens, just not giving up on it. There's nothing in the oil to make it better at unfreezing parts, so I guess you are correct Vegegrow, it's all about perserverence.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 16:48:26 PM by arrow »

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 16:40:02 PM »
You have great patience arrow!  Well done.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 17:16:24 PM »
There's nothing in the oil to make it better at unfreezing parts, so I guess you are correct Vegegrow, it's all about perserverence.
I shall try to remember that but also try not to say it too often over my husband's shoulder when he's struggling with an unco-operative screw. ;)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.