The Sewing Place

I'm a Needle Dodger!

b15erk

I'm a Needle Dodger!
« on: June 13, 2017, 16:38:37 PM »
I heard this on a Radio 4 quiz yesterday, and forgot about it until now.  Apparently, it is another word for a Seamstress!

Who'da thunk.....  ;)

Never heard it before, and sort of wondering if I mis-heard (it wouldn't have been the first time)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lantana

Re: I'm a Needle Dodger!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 17:07:57 PM »
No you didn't mishear  :) Just looked it up ..... It was slang for 'dressmaker' used from c1860 to 1930. I rather like it and think we should bring it back into common usuage ... unless of course it was a kind of double slang being as how 'dressmaker' could be a euphenism for another profession. mmmmm interesting!

L :vintage:
Feeling the fear and doing it anyway .... er sometimes!

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 19:01:39 PM »
I like it! 0_0
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

justpottering

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 19:22:34 PM »
I was a needle dodger today just clipped my nail which are a bit longer than I usually have them it made me draw my hand away pretty damn sharpish I can tell you :o
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 21:27:43 PM »
I'm not a needle dodger today as I bought 10 packets of schmetz needles from Jaycotts  £25.00  ><
My new machine seems to like them
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Zigzag

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 10:56:21 AM »
Schmetz needles are one of my favourite brands too.   :thread:
Love sewing with Sapphire, Janome, Silver and Babylock.
Best friend is the serger to give that superior edge to seams  😍

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 15:16:19 PM »
I always thought I was a sewer - pronounced sew-er   but I`m not so keen on being a sue-er!

(isn`t the English language wonderful)

justpottering

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 09:06:29 AM »
I always thought I was a sewer - pronounced sew-er   but I`m not so keen on being a sue-er!

(isn`t the English language wonderful)
English is indeed wonderful, I love it and use it all the time - my motto is 'why use one word when there are thousands and all of them free'  :D

I am a sewer, a dressmaker, a crafter, but I am not a sewist - don't like that word at all for some reason, it's as if it's trying to be something it's not - although someone described it as sewing artist which sounds ok, but not as sewist  ><

I replenished my stock of smetz needles last weekend - lots of money but worth it if you do a lot of dressmaking, my experience of cheaper needles is that they bend, break or loose their sharpness quickly, so you get what you pay for imho
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:09:16 AM by justpottering »
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 09:30:37 AM »
Sewer is ok when said, but not when written down  :D so I use "sewist"
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ellabella

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 10:38:12 AM »
I like stitcher which covers my knitting and crochet habits as well.

I am another Schmetz fan.  For Christmas my DS bought me a Schmetz variety pack.  It had all the various twin needles, denim needles, ones for metallic threads etc. About 30 different types in all, I was ecstatic. He apologized for buying the most boring present ever but it has been so useful.

The pack are on Amazon so I had put it on my wishlist.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

twopence

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 16:45:19 PM »
I'm a needle woman which covers all the types of needles that I use.  It also happens to be the meaning of my name too.

I bought packets of Schmitz needles back from visiting my son in Canada.  They took up very little room in my suitcase, were very light and as they were then the same price in Canadian dollars as we pay over here were about half price!