The Sewing Place

My Steam Iron has gone west

Lyn-J

My Steam Iron has gone west
« on: June 13, 2017, 17:46:19 PM »
My iron's not working and it's time for a new on. It keeps blowing fuses  :S Nor is it it de-calcing or producing much steam.

Any suggestions for a new one, preferably  one that switches itself if you leave it for any length of time. Many thanks.

(My grandmother was right: "Don't ever get a stem iron as they don't last five minutes." Bless you Nan  <3)
Lynne

Acorn

Re: My Steam Iron has gone west
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 18:55:31 PM »
I've had mine for over a year and I'm very happy with it.  It's here - I have to say I paid not much more than half that price, from the same seller!  The listing says there is a newer version which is, bizarrely, cheaper...

I really do not understand Amazon pricing!   :[  It'll probably be different again tomorrow (for the sake of making (some) sense, it was £82 when I posted this...)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

dolcevita

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 19:06:24 PM »
I have a Russell Hobbs powersteam ultra, 3200W.  Had it about 18 months and it seems fine so far.

I should add, though that this is my ironing iron, not my pressing iron, so it doesn't get all that much use!  I probably use it about once a week, if that. 

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 22:38:36 PM »
I only like Tefal irons with the Ultraglide soleplate. Much nicer than the ordinary ones and if you should burn something onto it, it's much easier to clean off. No they don't last forever, but I have bought my last 3 on Ebay and don't pay much for them. Mine switches itself off after 8 minutes without use, and then switches back on as soon as it's horizontal again.

Pinkstar

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 23:04:16 PM »
I had a steam iron for a good 6 or 7 years.  It only give up the ghost when I dropped it and the plastic casing broke.  Can't remember what make it was, mind it was never used for normal ironing I only used it when crafting, p & q and dressmaking.  :D

Lyn-J

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 15:24:08 PM »
Thanks Acorn, dolcevita, Greybird & Pinkstar.
I went into John Lewis and did air ironing and chose the cheapest one that had a cut out. That's an important feature for my because I have it set up all the time and when I nipping back and forth pressing seams it easy to leave on.
I chose a purple Tefal with a Dirillium (whatevers) base.
Lynne

justpottering

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 16:05:28 PM »
My steam has gone west too it seems, anyone know where I can find some replacement steam for self?  :D
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea