The Sewing Place

Elastic neckline using bias binding

Mama likes to make

Elastic neckline using bias binding
« on: June 13, 2017, 17:46:46 PM »
I found this when trying to get the neck on B6455 right as the instructed method (to turn down the neckline to make the channel) would not sit nicely. Really happy with the finish on it and it will be a go to method for me in future.

http://thehabygoddess.blogspot.ie/2012/04/tutorial-adding-elastic-neckline.html

b15erk

Re: Elastic neckline using bias binding
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:12:49 AM »
Great way to save a project MLTM.  I confess, I've done something similar a time or two!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:23:29 AM »
I actually used it on a top that was meant to have an elastic neckline but I just could not get the curve to sit nicely the way the pattern said. I'm definitely going to use it on some bits for DD just to neaten the necklines. I often use binding instead of a facing anyway but never thought to use it as a channel.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 09:30:15 AM »
For me, if it makes an unwearable top, into a very wearable top, then that's got to be good.  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 12:09:55 PM »
She I never realised that pattern had you turn under the edge! :o :o :o :o
What a stupid technique.  Stands to reason it won't work well.  You would always get a neater finish doing it the way you did.  You could even make your own bias if you wanted it to match.   :). No?  Ok just a thought  0_0

Mama likes to make

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 13:22:26 PM »
Definitely so simple and so effective.

I know and on a pattern marked very easy as well. There's nothing easy about trying to do that. I'm guessing the elasticted neck hides a multitude but I can't see how it would be neat doing it that way. I do sometimes make my own but I did use shop bought for this.