The Sewing Place

Summer Tops

charlotte

Summer Tops
« on: June 16, 2017, 10:44:12 AM »
Because if I start a thread I might actually get them all done!!

I want some new summer tops that I can wear everyday for work, and out and about, on holiday etc. I want tops with sleeves as I feel uncomfortable at work in sleeveless tops (probably from growing up in the Middle East). I have a pile of different cotton lawns and I'm thinking basic round necked short-sleeved tee-shirt style tops that fasten with a zip at the back.

My plans so far:

1. a navy cotton lawn top with a grey polyester chiffon front yoke
2. a sea green cotton lawn top with Mondrian-style panels on the front (but all the same colour) outlined with flat piping
3. a dusky pink cotton lawn Pattern Magic chevron pleated top
4. a bias cut floral lawn top with cap sleeves (this one hopfully won't need a zip)

Then I'll see how much fabric is left and might do a couple more pieced together from my off cuts!

b15erk

Re: Summer Tops
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 11:53:18 AM »
It sounds like a great plan Charlotte!  I only wish I could be as well organised.

Look forward to seeing your finished tops!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 11:59:21 AM »
I look forward to seeing them.   You had better get a move on before the summer is over.  ;)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 12:42:40 PM »
No 3 sounds intriguing !
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

charlotte

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 15:14:11 PM »
Number 3 is this one:

But it's just a bodice so I need to work out some sort of lower piece. I've seen some versions with a straight piece but I want to do something following the lines of the pleats. And I want some sort of pleated sleeve as well. Much toile-ing required.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 22:20:31 PM »
This'll be wonderful. Could you consider a pleated peplum of some sort?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Zigzag

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 22:57:08 PM »
Good luck with your summer projects.  Nice to have an organised plan.  Happy sewing  :thread: