The Sewing Place

What are you working on?

Lowena

What are you working on?
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »
It's difficult in the summer to always find time for sewing I find  :(
So many calls on your time....gardening, outdoor living, visitors,outings, weather too nice to be indoors etc etc.
So, to give our Mojos a boost I'd be interested in hearing about what you are working on at present.
I ( unusually for me ) have 2 tops which need sandwiching and backing. It's easy and enjoyable to do the tops....not so much the rest of it  -< I try to complete a project before moving on, and I don't know what happened, :| but finishing is a priority.
I am also doing the Mystery quilt.
I had visitors last week and showed my friend the quilts I'd made ( even though she wasn't interested and only glanced at the fronts momentarily) Her comment was....." why are they all folded and piled in a crate, never seeing the light of day? " This got me thinking......I have now decided to make some quilts for Project Linus. They'll have to be perfect so I don't know if I'll be up to it, but I'm going to give it a go  :)
But.....today......I have to refold my finished quilts and repack them in the crate........I'll drool over them ( there are some I'd forgotten I'd made  :| ) and might even take photos ( probably won't )
I'm now re- energised, will back the 2 unfinished quilts with fleece to make throws and get started on planning for my charity attempts ....whoo hoo  :D
Can't wait to hear about your projects.....
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

Re: What are you working on?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 12:12:29 PM »
I need to finish the Vogue dress which I started last week.  It got put to one side because of a mark on the back, (now sorted), and I need it finished!  While I was sulking over the Vogue, I began a Hungry caterpillar crochet blanket for young grandson (when he arrives).

I also have a couple of pairs of trousers cut out, and waiting to be sewn.....

There are also a couple of pieces of fabric waiting to be made into the Bernina Shirtdress.

I wish I could just do one thing at a time.....  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lantana

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 12:36:13 PM »
Hi Lowena,

Ah yes sojo going walk about, I know all about that just now. Reading this forum every day is keeping me in touch but that's as near as I've been getting to sewing just lately.  :'(  :'(  :'(

I got behind with everything when I was unwell earlier and going for all the heart tests and then having to get used to the tablets which made the symptoms worse in the short term.  :devil: So the sojo has gone missing underneath a pile of things that aught to be done ... that I don't feel like doing ..... so nothing is getting done.

The other trouble is I've got too many ideas or part ideas but none of them will jell/move forward. I do have various on-going projects/practice pieces. (My approach to our hobby is completley different to yours  :D)

So to answer your question :-

Mystery quilt.

Carry on with my Ruth Mc Dowell practise pieces. I love her work and have most of her books.  If you are not familliar with her work here is a link:-

http://www.ruthbmcdowell.com/clients/rbm/recent.cfm

As you will see from my practise pieces I have a loooooooooong way to go 0_0

Make some bits and bobs for stall/raffle prizes for party funds.

Maybe even make a small banner to take to the Burston Strike School Rally in September ... that's just a vague idea at the moment as I'm not sure my design skills will extend to that although I have been involved with making them in the past.

But really if anything comes and grabs me by the throat and compels me to get in that sewing room I'll be pleased to be draggesd there and will report back!

Lanty  :vintage:

rubywishes

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 14:02:39 PM »
Today I "did" step 4 in the Mystery Quilt and then made a start on the 9 patches blocks I'm making for a lap quilt for a friend. She is crazy, crazy about roses; has always loved them and her gardens have always been full with them so this quilt is going to be very pastel-y and very rose-y. I think it will be just perfect for her and it was such fun this arvo to finally start cutting fabric. But in the midst of that I got distracted for a moment when I did a bit of tidying in the sewing room and found...yes found..as in, forgot I had...a pack of gorgeous batik strips, given to me by a friend who quilts and won them in a raffle, but hates batiks  :o   So of course I then had to stop what I was doing and go through my patterns to find something to do with them....and I did, after about 40 minutes... a clean modern pattern similar to my Hexactly quilt........so there's another quilt ready to start!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 16:51:13 PM »
Finished this by just backing with a fleece throw. I'd got fed up of seeing it lying around and wanted to get it in the crate  :D
I'm looking forward to starting my quilt for Linus... it'll be a tester as it will have to be 100% perfect  :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 17:11:20 PM »
Oh dear, I wish you hadn't asked.
Curtains - almost finished.
BOM
Quilt top started last year, top done needs sandwiching, quilting etc
Strip quit started last year
Hexis I stitch these while watching tv
Mystery quilt - behind with this
In the pipeline:-
2 tops for DGD
skirt for DD
2 pairs of trousers and a top for me
I could go on but I'm getting depressed thinking about all I have got planned.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

twopence

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 17:22:30 PM »
I'm just finishing off a quilt for DD2 using a panel that is just so her.

I have done the first clue for the Mystery Quilt so have some catching up to do.  I also need to catch up on the BOM's as I have ideas to make some into quilted cushions as Christmas presents.

I have ideas for making a Pisces quilt for DD1 and have been collecting fabrics and pictures for this for a while as I intended to do it last year but Dad was nearing the end of his life and needed more help. 

I have a part finished quilt top that I want to give to OH's Mum for her birthday in September and ideas for a lap quilt for his Dad whose birthday is December.  All being well there is to be a party as he will be 90 and it will be their 70th wedding anniversary. We have been told that there will be absolutely no presents but I'm sure that birthday ones don't count.

I have been sewing hexes in floral and other fabrics to make a quilt and eventually will need to look up how I cope with the edges but I'm not ready to join them together yet.

I won all the fabric for a double quilt in a give away from one of the magazines but need to get a couple of techniques under my belt before starting on those blocks so it's a good job that I have such a long list of things to do.

I haven't put anything that I might think of sewing on this list.  I've thought of a couple of cotton tops but I'm sure the warm weather will have disappeared before they are cut out.

Pearl

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 18:27:35 PM »
It might be easier to tell you what I'm not working on!

I'm not working on the Four Patch Chain quilt that I am supposed to be doing for a class, one day a month. 

I have been making a disappearing nine patch quilt for my eldest son for two years.

I did a stack and slash after watching someone doing it on Youtube this week.  I made nine blocks and began to sash them.  Then I decided that I liked it so I made 9 more.  I've run out of the fabric now so not sure what to do.  (18 is a funny number.)

I'm making Katharine Guerrier's Scrap House quilt.  I've made the houses.  Now I need to make the filler blocks and put it all together.

I need to do this month's BOM and Mystery Quilt clue.

I'm doing some EPP in the evenings in front of the TV.

I also have 24 items on my to-do list, many inspired by the lovely ladies on TSP. 

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 20:02:24 PM »
(18 is a funny number.)

May well be, but 15 is 5 x 3 and with 3 blocks traversing the back you are done!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 20:15:51 PM »
I've cut the bottoms off my curtains and left them like that.
I have blocks ready to go for a double bed...x2  :S
I have two faces of herself's runner ready to sandwich.
I have a Winter skirt in kit form that I was hoping to finish before it got warm.
I have plans, plans, plans.....many plans.... :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 20:23:20 PM »
(18 is a funny number.)

May well be, but 15 is 5 x 3 and with 3 blocks traversing the back you are done!!!

Oh, I didn't think of that  :|, mainly because the second nine are not exactly the same as the first nine, but I could alternate them on the front and then have two of 1 and one of the other on the back.  Thank you!  Watch this space.

maliw

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 20:44:18 PM »
Curtains finished and up - yeh.

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 21:14:30 PM »
Curtains finished and up - yeh.

So jealous. :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Syrinx

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 22:21:24 PM »
I've got my flying spiral geese lap quilt still to finish. I was supposed to piece the top by hand but I'm going to give up on that as I haven't touched it for ages and use my machine!

I've got my two Japanese things - one is almost done.

My riding habit, which is in toile at the moment.

A quilt for myself using timeless treasures peacock fabrics, that I haven't quite decided upon a design for. I think last time I looked at it I wanted to trapunto the peacock in the panel but I've never done that and don't want to ruin the panel! And so many gorgeous peacocksand feathers in the matched fabrics. I'm afraid to chop it up! Still in uncut fabric stage.

A panel quilt or wall hanging with a TT rainbow tree and matched fabrics that will be mostly about the FMQ. Also still in uncut fabric stage.

I've got a plan for a wholecloth quilt, but I'll need to do a bit more research on the designs I'll choose, though I know the shape and size and where it will go (it's going to be a sofa throw).

And I have a long term quilt plan for my partner (who doesn't really like quilts but seems to enjoy the more modern geometric types - he appreciates the work, just not the look) that will be all in shades of grey and black. I'm still uncertain as to what design to go for other than geometric and modern. He said he thought Jacob's Ladder quilts were "alright" but I don't think they work so well in the greys/blacks. I did think of a big spiral log cabin quilt, but it's a bit boring and it would be all down to the FMQ and I'd probably lose the geometric-ness. Any ideas for this would be great as it's been stuck in planning for years!

I was also thinking of doing a mini Jacobs Ladder set of blocks for a table runner for a relative who lost their first child. I've given all their other children quilts and I thought they might appreciate a little one in his memory. I'm not sure whether to do a lap quilt or sofa throw or go for a small table runner with minature piecing to get the full effect.

Oh and I want to make McCalls 7256 coat this winter if I can - depends how well my riding habit goes!

Goodness, writing it all out it seems like a lot, though most are still in planning stages.

maliw

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 09:32:46 AM »
I loathe curtains and guess what - DD asked me to line DGD's bedroom ones, linings done but not put in so guess what todays job is??? I'd made the linings a few weeks ago and then forgotten all about it until this am, oh well, get them done and onto the next thing.