The Sewing Place

Wedding dress alteration

Stitches

Wedding dress alteration
« on: June 16, 2017, 16:36:46 PM »
I have got a wedding dress come in and bride does not want the train .as it is the right length at the front ,should I just unpick the hem and cut the sides and back to match it does not have any horsehair braid in would you put some in. All help appreciated .

Sewsuzie

Re: Wedding dress alteration
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 18:16:46 PM »
Not knowing what type of hem it is, or style and fabric, it's difficult to answer. But as a general guide, I'd level the hem while the bride is wearing it (in her bridal shoes). I usually use a small cotton bobbin to mark up from the ground, by putting a pin in the dress every few inches, at the top of the reel. This ensures it is the same distance from the ground all the way round. Then, determine where she wants the finished length and measure down from the pins for the hem edge.
How you finish the hem depends on what it's like originally. I usually copy whatever it was originally, unless it looked truly awful and I could do something better. I use this method of levelling on bridesmaid and prom dresses too, as they can be so uneven and there's no way of telling that when it's trailing all over the floor. Much safer than taking the same off all the way round.

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry