The Sewing Place

sewingj

« on: June 17, 2017, 11:43:29 AM »
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 16:07:13 PM by sewingj »

Efemera

Re: how to organise needles?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 12:21:23 PM »
As I say I'm a sewing slut.... whatever is in the machine! Though if I do take one out of the overlocker or coverstitch I have a piece of tape stuck to the machine and I stick it in that.

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 12:40:33 PM »
I was thinking about this the other day as I usually use a new needle for most customer projects but use them up on curtains and cushions  I was thinking a hanging quilted pad and label each area new used and size then I could put each needle in the right section... would that work do you think?
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 12:41:00 PM »
I always take my needles out of the machine when I finish and put them back in the pack   8)
This means I can always pick the right needle out,  :) but I have no idea how old/used it is  :S

Stitchalot

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 13:16:30 PM »
I have a separate tomato pincushion marked in segments with a pen, each area labelled with a different type. Once a needle has been used it goes in there, not back in the packet.  Not foolproof but it helps.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 13:22:39 PM »
As I only ever use one type / size of needle, it doesn't arise. However, I do change the needle for each project and throw the used one away  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Jo

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 13:28:19 PM »
As I say I'm a sewing slut.... whatever is in the machine! Though if I do take one out of the overlocker or coverstitch I have a piece of tape stuck to the machine and I stick it in that.
Phew! I was starting to feel ashamed with everybody being so organized  :D Glad I'm not alone. I usually change the needle when I notice something is wrong (skipping stitches, machine struggling etc.).

Hachi

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 13:36:07 PM »
I've seen people using the tomato pincushion like Stitchalot mentioned.
Maybe you can whip up something like this using the soft side of the velcro?
(Supposedly, the flower head pin indicates the needle in use)

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 14:42:01 PM »
I don't do it myself  :ninja: but I've read that if you keep a post it note somewhere on back of the machine and write the size/type of needle in the machine on that and then if you put a used needle back into the packet leave it threaded you will always know what's in the machine and what is pristine new and what has been used.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewingj

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 15:06:38 PM »
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 16:04:49 PM by sewingj »

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 17:57:05 PM »
I have a cheap plastic box the has several sections, it originally held loom bands somebody's child had.

I put different types of needles in their packs in the different sections.  Used but not shot needles are returned to appropriate section but not back into the packet.

I put a pretty glass bead into the section that held the needle when I put it into the machine so I know what is in the machine.

All in all, quite organised for me!

Lyn-J

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 18:57:35 PM »
I have a multi sized needle pack, topped up from non multi sized pack. I keep that in front of the machine. Whatever needle is missing is the one in the machine. I also have a needle reminder built into my machine's software but don't always remember to use it  :S
Some of my needles are coloured coded, but I don't know what the code are  :[
How can you tell the difference between a ball-point and a universal by looking at the markings?

elephun

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 19:32:06 PM »
I have this Colonial Machine Needle Pack and it works great for me:
http://colonialneedle.com/Machine-Needle-Pack-TM-.html
The same premise as some of the others.

It looks like there is a newer version that isn't plastic and instead is quilted fabric, which is nice. Colonial Machine Needle Pack II: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/56558/colonial-needle-company/-/machine-needle-pack-ii

I think I've seen patterns for sewing your own similar to the Colonial one on Craftsy before.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 19:35:13 PM by elephun »

elephun

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 19:45:27 PM »
Some of my needles are coloured coded, but I don't know what the code are  :[
How can you tell the difference between a ball-point and a universal by looking at the markings?

This chart will probably help if you use Schmetz needles.
The colors on the actual needle are hard for me to see for some reason.

http://www.schmetzneedles.com/schmetz-color-code-chart/