The Sewing Place

<3 for Singer K95/96

Roger

<3 for Singer K95/96
« on: June 19, 2017, 17:39:35 PM »
I just love these strange almost Home model industrial machines. They live in a cabinet like a fridge look sturdy but all the dimensions are lightly off, and have an engine the size of a keg! but for some reason i love their style... wish i had somewhere to put one... I almost bought one the other day, and the Mrs nearly let me get away with it... but i mentioned the cabinet...

anyway:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361998469614?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you have one or feel the love feel free to comment with your thoughts!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

KayK

Re: <3 for Singer K95/96
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 20:14:54 PM »
Oh I feel the love! I sometimes think I need one of the these for the horse rugs I sometimes repair or the free motion embroidery in very thick material! 

I"d just love to have a go!  The motors do look huge though and I bet the whole caboodle weighs a ton!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Roger

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 23:07:12 PM »
The speed is a bit daunting as is the weight! at least it should be possible to separate the head from the cabinet... and the speed can be reduced by fitting a different sized wheel for the pulley, which I gather is important for increasing the penetrative strength of the machine.

I want to get one and have a pipedream of doing some leather and inner tube rubber construction... stuff that only requires a beautiful straight stitch. if the straight stitch is really good who knows what else :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Madame Cholet

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 19:54:33 PM »
Wow that is a chunky looking beast!

I love the idea of being able to hide that enormous machine head and the monster motor out of sight inside the cabinet <3
Which can then function as a really useful table top. It is such a teeny tiny cabinet too! It clearly possesses Tardis capabilities. And it could be slightly sanded and then painted or revarnished, which wouldn't take too long at all, so it blends in with the decor, and you'd hardly notice that it's there.
(Mrs R. are you reading this??)

With industrials I believe you get better control at slow speeds if you place a tennis ball below the foot pedal, although I have never tried that myself.

'Leather and inner tube rubber construction' sounds interesting!
 :D

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 22:35:52 PM »
Chunky, yes, but also strangely alluring.   :D

I worry about myself sometimes, you know!   :[
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Roger

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 12:05:42 PM »
I did some reading up on these guys, apparently the 95 is a 7" shorter version of the 96... but why they decided to put it on the beautiful fridge style cabinet is beyond me. ISmacs lists the 95/96 as being for light to medium fabrics, and capable of 3500 spi, aside from that the 96 has a few more industrial/bench features, but the 95 seems to be a compact industrial, I dont think it'll handle harnesses, or stuff like that, but should do some serious fabric and lighter leathers in a rather no nonsense way.

They look like real chunky beasts! I found one on Gumtree nearby for not a lot, but the owner hasnt come back to me... I have my fingers crossed! I'm looking for one thats less than mint so I dont have to be too proud of it and can use it for jobs I don't want to put through my domestics :) especially as its an experiment...