The Sewing Place

I want to do a 'Disappearing 9 patch'

b15erk

I want to do a 'Disappearing 9 patch'
« on: June 20, 2017, 09:35:20 AM »
Peeping round the corner to the Dark Side, and wondering if I'll come out quilted!  :)

I saw this particular design on here, and fell in love with it, I think Brenda posted it: https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/535717318149888722/

DD has asked me (again), to re-cover a nursing chair for her.  I promised to do it a while ago, and had the cushions cut to fit, but we couldn't agree on the patchwork design, and she threw a throw over it.  ><

This time, I want it finished.  New baby is on the way, and she'll need a nursing chair.

I just need some advice about arranging the squares, and how many colours to stick to for a block.

Any advice will be welcome!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

Re: I want to do a 'Disappearing 9 patch'
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:22:48 AM »

I just need some advice about arranging the squares, and how many colours to stick to for a block.

Jessie

If you go back to my original post over on the Dark Side you'll see the pics I posted.  One only had three fabrics for the entire project.  The others had lots of different fabrics.  Even if you keep to white or cream for the lights you could use five different  fabrics in each 9-patch block, and if you used different fabrics for each block and shuffle them around before re-assembling you could be looking at dozens of different fabrics, or you could keep it to just 2 or 3.

https://feltmagnet.com/textiles-sewing/quilting-101-disappearing-nine-patch-and-other-variations
shows different ways of re-saaembling the blocks after they have been cut apart.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

maliw

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 12:31:42 PM »
Play Jessie and enjoy it, I'm sure it will turn out fine.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 14:44:10 PM »
Thanks Mal, I've been doing that today.  I forgot how long it takes to cut out and obtain reasonable colour matches though.....

Don't think I'll ever make a quilter.  :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 09:35:43 AM »
I didn't have all the fabric I needed here yesterday to try out with the 'proper' stuff.  Truth be told, I don't like it, and that's why it failed last time, but, it's what DD wants, so I'll make a really big effort....

These are just a couple of practise blocks to try to work out what goes where when you cut the 9 patch up!

Jessie

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 10:11:32 AM »
Very nice Jessie, are you going to mix the colourways at all?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 10:28:23 AM »
Hi Jessie

Can I make a couple of constructive criticisms.

The right hand block, pinks and mauves works well. 0_0  The left hand block with flowers on white gives a very different effect because those blocks have an overall lighter tonal value than the surrounding "light" pieces.  The attraction of the block is (to me) the way darker patches form a criss-cross pattern across lighter fabrics and that won't happen with those colour choices. 

I suggest you don't use the yellow/green flowers & red birds fabric for this project, though I do like the fabric.  Also the cream/yellow is a bit dark, can you find lighter creams or more white?

Lastly, once you have cut a 9-block patch up you don't have to reassemble with four pieces from the same block.  Shuffle them around making each new block from four different 9-patches.  That will spread all the different fabrics around and will make it look much more integrated.

Having said all that you are making a good start and you have nice accurate points where the squares meet.  Keep going.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 10:35:29 AM »
Great stuff girls!  Keep it coming.

I knew the right block worked better, but I didn't know why, so many thanks for the colour placement tips.

Off to try some more.  ;)

Jessie

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 10:38:04 AM »
I meant to say that the actual piecing is very accurate  :)

Missie

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »
Now, I like the green and red block.  I like how the plain colours pick up on the patterned one.  However, I would ditch the yellowy squares and just go for plain white.......but what do I know, I'm not a quilter!

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 11:04:38 AM »
Is this one ????

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 11:46:17 AM »
Not really, it's along the same lines but there are no triangles in a dnp, just squares and rectangles.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 08:58:44 AM »
Girls, I now have a plan!!  The D9P has worked wonderfully well, and with a few modifications, I think I can produce something passable to cover the nursing chair cushions.

The brief was to use four upholstery fabrics which imho do not go together.  They still don't, but the D9P, has meant that although I'm using them all, they are not so prominantly terrible.  I've added a few touches which I think diffuse the clash, and give it a bit of a vintage flavour.

I've also (after a wasted day), decided against incorporating some of the failed blocks I did last year.  Instead, I will do 8 blocks of D9P, with embellishments and cut to fit (I'm sure 8 will be enough).  Then, I will do the backs in either the green check, or spot fabric, the sides may be pieced, just for continuity.

Now, does that sound like a plan?

The samples I'll use for nappy changing mats.

Any other suggestions?  I can't believe how much knowledge there is on this forum!

Pic below - feel free to advise.

Jessie

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 09:33:56 AM »
Yes!  that looks good 0_0  It's working because you are getting a balance of lghts and darks - albeit the opposite way around to the examples shown in earlier posts.

Your sewing skills are obvious - excellent seam matching and some applique.  The lace I like, but have you stitched it down along the scallops?  You don't want anything that little fingers could get caught in.

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 09:39:26 AM »
That looks great Jessie, really lovely fabric combo. I wish I could appliqe so neatly and the lace adds a delicacy  :)