The Sewing Place

It's like triangles all over again

rubywishes

It's like triangles all over again
« on: June 22, 2017, 11:38:11 AM »
I have never done 9 patches and want to do them for my "rose" quilt. So far I have ruined 6 fat quarters in the process and now after watching you-tubes and pouring through my few quilting books I am at a loss.....a grumpy, "2-red-wines-and-better-turn-the-sewing-machine-off-now" kind of loss. And I'm teetering very closely to the brink of taking up stamp collecting as a hobby and by the way does anyone want to buy my brand new Juki and my long suffering 710?

My measurements are correct at cutting the strips and when I join them (2.5" strips x3 sewn together=7.5" subtract 1" total seam allowances= 6.5"), my seam allowances measure correctly but somehow, when I join my 3 sets of blocks together I lose about 1/4' so my unfinished blocks which should be 6.5" are coming out at 6.25". I don't know what I'm doing at this final stage to muck up my block. I am at a total loss and fed up with wasting all my pretty fat quarters.

Obviously I am not doing something right and probly won't be able to so any ideas on salvage for me? Should I just leave the little sods at 6.25 and end up with a smaller finished block? Will it matter if the central block is going to be a tiny bit bigger than the outer ones? Is a 5.75" finished block too small a size?
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Kad

Re: It's like triangles all over again
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 11:51:03 AM »
Try making your seam allowances a whisker smaller than 1/4" by using the 1/4" foot and moving the needle a mm or two to the right.

The reduction in size of your block is almost certainly caused when pressing the seam allowances so by making the seams a scant 1/4" you should be able to compensate.

I find that the amount of compensation depends upon the fabric that I use so it's always worth  doing a sample to check.

Hope that helps and don't despair in reality as long as all the SA are the same, things will workout and only you will know that the finished article is a little smaller than it set out to be  ;)
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 11:54:43 AM »
It sounds as though your seam allowances are smidgin over the required 1/4".

If the blocks are all coming out at 6.25" instead of 6.5" it won't matter that much, other than making the finished quilt slightly smaller - compensate by adding an extra inch or so of border if the finished size is critical.

Check your seam allowances by taking three accurately cut 2.5" strips.  Stitch them together and press.  Now measure the width.  If it's not exactly 6.5" you need to practice getting the seam allowances slightly narrower (or wider).
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 11:55:33 AM »
I'm afraid even my ocd doesn't allow me to be that accurate Rubes  :| If they're all coning out the same size (if not, I square them up ) I just go with the flow. Any discrepencies can usually be fixed by careful squaring or manipulating a border. Sorry I can't be more help  :(
 :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 13:02:27 PM »
aaaaannnnddd  B  R  E  A  T  H  E   .......

What does it matter if they are 1/4" less than 'they' say they should be.

Every one sews and presses 1/4" seams differently; as long as all you blocks come out the same size, whatever that might be, that is the size they will be!

and use Brenda's excellent advice, if you want a quilt of a precise size, and add extra on to the border
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 05:40:26 AM »
Thankyou everyone. Sometimes you just need to wail at someone and as I don't have any sewing buddies you guys are my "go to" in times of despair despair!

I hadn't thought about moving my needle over a bit so will try that. Yes, I think you're right everyone..there is something in my seam allowance and pressing that's causing the hassle. So, with a new day and armed with all your advices (plural of advice? Does advice need a plural...hmmmmmmm  -<)I shall sally forth again to the sewing room....and yes....I'll breeeeeaaaathe and chant restful noises  0_0

It's an hour and a half later and I've binned the lot. The 710 won't let me move the needle over while using my 1/4" patchwork foot; I have to use a wider foot and swap my needle plate to a 5mm needle hole and now I can't get the presser foot pressure right...the fabric is slipping all over the place with the wide feed dogs and yet I am getting puckering in my seams and the patches are coming out even more wonky. Yes, my strips are accurate and no, I can't figure it out. I've switched back to the patchwork foot and tried using a guide to snick the seam in to just a scant 1'4" and leaving the needle centred but the wretched things whilst coming out a bit bigger are so cockeyed it's ridiculous. I just give up.

I've lost interest in it and I'm done with it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 07:33:44 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

StitchinTime

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 08:55:33 AM »
Sometimes machines are too smart for their own good. Is it the foot or the needleplate that is stopping the needle position being altered? I think the "smarter" machines have a safety feature that prevents zig-zag stitches or an altered needle position being selected when a straight stitch plate is in place so that needles don't strike it and break.

Can you outsmart your machine by using the 5mm plate with the patchwork foot and seeing if this allows you to alter the needle position?

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 09:40:42 AM »
Rubes, what a shame!  I've been doing the D9P and loving it, but then I'm a bit casual and not too concerned as long as the whole lots doesn't fall apart!  ;)

Don't be so hard on yourself, I'm sure it's something simple that's going wrong - maybe even in the instructions.

Have you tried using different fabric?  Or adding a smidge to the starting block?

If all else fails, try the red stuff  :toast:,  and get back to it tomorrow!

Sending calming thoughts

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 10:16:50 AM »
Darling Ruby, Why did you bin them???!!!

If you sew and press 1/4" seams and they come out shy of what they should, then make the quilt to the size they come out at...Its your quilt, you are the creator and who will bloody well know (or care) that it measures (plucks numbers out of the air here) 54" sq when it should've measured 60" square!

NO ONE!

Im sorry you've binned them as Im sure all they were was a smidge undersized and WHO CARES???

My clue 1's on the mystery quilt were all undersized; I just sewed em together anyway and the Mystery quilt is divine and to prove it I'm going to do something that would leave me rotting in a hole in the ground somewhere if the Quilt Police found out, not to mention the Sewalong Police!!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 12:31:53 PM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 11:18:40 AM »
You are very naughty Rubes as Imi says, who cares about a fraction of an inch?? No one, that's who!! As long as they are all a consistent size, manipulating the border does the trick.
Don't put yourself down....your work is lovely and doesn't deserve to be binned because of 1/4"..........please revive it ( where's your Aussie grit???, remember Mitchell Johnson's comeback  :D )

Deafoldbat

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 20:52:14 PM »
won't let me move the needle over while using my 1/4" patchwork foot

Is this because the 'hole' in the foot is tiny and for straight stitching only, rather than wide for zigzag stitching?

Yes, sometimes machines are too clever for their own good, and this may be one of those times.

Remove your blocks from the bin. Decide what size they are going to be, and carry on. As long as the end measurement is consistent you should be okay with just squares.

But have a quiet practice with the ¼-inch foot, and peer closely at the throat plate and see if it has a ¼-inch marker too, which might help, in future. Or do it the old fashioned way and put a bit of tape to line up on and see if that works.

rubywishes

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 12:07:49 PM »
Like a phoenix rising from the ashes....(no, it's not little 9 patch blocks being pulled from the rubbish bin  :angry:).......it's the discovery of large 9 patch blocks and the delightful forgivingness of the resulting disappearing 9 patch blocks!!   My friend may get her lap quilt afterall! Thankyou everyone for your advice which I have taken on board and attended to.
:flower: :toast: :loveit: Here's a pic of two blocks I have done as practice runs...ughhhhh the solid pink fabric is not really that pink!  ughhhh! I'll play around with the combinations a bit more once I've made a few more.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 13:24:41 PM by rubywishes »

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 13:45:51 PM »
They're all nice, but I especially like the bottom one  <3

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 19:26:13 PM »
Number 2 is FAB
Number 3 will give you diagonal lines
and ditch number 1; What is the point of those 4 blocks making a solid block...ditch ditch ditch...

In my opinion, for whatever that is worth, Number 2 is the winner!!!

supergran

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 21:19:31 PM »
I'd go with the middle one.  <3