The Sewing Place

making pattern weights

twopence

making pattern weights
« on: June 22, 2017, 22:34:43 PM »
I was intending to make myself some pattern weights using metal washers bound with ribbon so picked up a reel of ribbon when in Hobbycraft and then went to buy some washers only to find that I could only buy tiny ones.  I thought that I had seen some that are about three inches across with a good sized hole in the centre. 

Has anyone made pattern weights this way?  If so where did you buy your metal washers?

SkoutSews

Re: making pattern weights
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 22:52:45 PM »
You need to go to a trade supplier. B&Q or Homebase won't do! Mine came from a local agricultural machinery parts supplier. I have a variety of sizes, which work well for placing on different parts of the patterns.
I've not bothered with covering or binding mine. They're probably a bit rough, but it's not a problem. 

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 23:00:25 PM »
Thanks to someone's brilliant idea on here I've used copper coins in mine.

fajita

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 02:06:21 AM »
.....tucks idea away for future reference....l

Jo

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 07:42:49 AM »
I have ones that are about  2 inches across (I think, haven't measured), got them from a home improvement store. Didn't bother covering with anything and they're not rough at all so it's fine.
Maybe you could order some online?

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 08:48:29 AM »
I use old glass moisturiser pots filled with buttons.  I use a lot of moisturiser (it's my age), and hated throwing the pots away. 

Best thing about them?  They're a good weight, smooth, free, and it keeps them out of the landfill.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 09:50:59 AM »
I'm still old-school and use pins :pin:   

I might give weights a go some time (tins of baked beans) but how do you you manage when the fabric needed is longer than the cutting table  (2.5m)  and it all needs to be shuffled back and forth to get the best layout?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Jo

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
I've successfully used tins of beans, old moisturizer tins, a door stopper, candle jars, or anything that's close by and is heavy enough :)
If the fabric is much longer than the cutting table, I move to the floor. Otherwise, I just pin the fabric in several places so it won't shift and cut what fits on the table, then shift the fabric and cut a few more pieces.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 10:52:30 AM »
Like Jo, I use anything that's heavy enough and within reach, but I then draw around the pattern with a wash off felt pen.  It is easy enough to slide the fabric and pattern along if the table isn't long enough (although if I was ordering the kitchen table again I would make it long enough for dress patterns, and stuff making it the optimum size for the kitchen!)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 12:06:05 PM »
What if you want to change the layout?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Syrinx

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »
I use little chickens filled with arborio rice if I can be bothered to dig them out. Or my little dragons filled with arborio rice.

Or I use whatever I have around to hold it in place.

I make the chickens out of triangles sewn together with a felt comb and I can never be bothered to but they are supposed to have button eyes.

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 12:18:43 PM »
Brenda, changing the layout is far easier with weights than with pins.  Just move them out of the way and re-arrange the pattern pieces.

I do still use pins, as I like to keep the pattern pieces and fabric pieces together after they have been cut.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 14:35:13 PM »
I use big flat washers from B&Q they are about 2"square with a hole in the middle and are quite heavy. Not cheap but I've had them for quite a few years now and they don't take up much room.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Hachi

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 19:53:42 PM »
Here is mine:

I like them because they are flat and compact, but still have a good heft to keep the patterns in place. It does not rust and I'm not a fancy person so I keep them bare naked.
I bought them at Home Depot in the U.S. so I'm no help where you can get them in the U.K. I hear B&Q is not quite like Home Depot (though they look very similar)...