The Sewing Place

Share your sewing inspiration/plans

Manuela

Share your sewing inspiration/plans
« on: June 24, 2017, 02:27:34 AM »
One more week of school until the summer break, so I see a lot of sewing going on in my sewing room before the reality of working and studying hits me. Ever since I saw Chanel's last cruise collection, I've been lusting after a tweed/boucle dress (or two  :devil:), and already identified two Linton fabrics that have been marinating for a year or two....
I have the fabric in two colour-ways, white with pink as posted as well as black with pink...
What are you planning/dreaming of/scheming to make?

jen

Re: Share your sewing inspiration/plans
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 08:14:12 AM »
I loved the idea of using a light tweed in a dress. It's not for everyone, but I'm looking forward to seeing your interpretation Manuela.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 08:30:58 AM »
I've just bought 3 lots of cotton prints to make dresses. Just basic fitted bodice and full skirts.

Stitches

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 08:41:20 AM »
I just got 4 lots of fabric to make dresses and a top one with a border print but dont know which pattern to use yet

Missie

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 10:41:35 AM »
I'm hoping to finish my Garden party dress this weekend.  Then I have 2 lots of linen for dresses and I'm also going to make a chanel-style jacket with fabric I bought from Morgan quite a few years ago  :o.  My secondary school is 50 years this year and there is an anniversary celebration that I am thinking of wearing it to, so that will be my deadline, unless I change my mind on what I wear!

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 11:27:43 AM »
I have just seen a lovely shirt dress in a charity shop in town, and it's going on the list.  Black and white lace, with black shoulder pieces and black collar, the placket was white.  It was one of the 'high end' charity shops, and I would have bought it, but it was made for a stick insect.  :(

Must check out the lace stash.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Missie

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 14:24:05 PM »
Oh and I have some floral fabric for a tea dress.  Going on my current speed of making things, they may just be ready in 5 years time! :\

Manuela

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 14:52:09 PM »
Fabulous, lots of dresses and a Chanel jacket to feast our eyes on.
I am also pondering about how to create something like this, I love the dip dye effect and the Japanese inspired applique/embroidery. It's one of Tom Ford's early works for Gucci.

Stitches

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 17:20:12 PM »
Manuals I love that

Lyn-J

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 19:13:34 PM »
Manuela, the tweed is very interesting, isn't it too hot for where you are?
Can I ask what are you studying, surely you know everything that there is to know about sewing?
I like the embroidered dress too.
(glad you are here)

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 00:24:49 AM »
Manuela, the tweed is very interesting, isn't it too hot for where you are?
Can I ask what are you studying, surely you know everything that there is to know about sewing?

The tweed is too lightweight for a jacket, so once quilted onto silk lining it should be ok for a loose fitting dress.
One can never know enough about sewing  :D I try new techniques all the time. but I'm not studying anything sewing related. I got an offer for the University of Sunderland's PGCE course, and am in the fortunate position that my school supports me. My boss is my mentor, and my teching practice will be in our textile department - courses for year 10 and 11.

Samantha

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 10:51:04 AM »
Jessie I have made this Simplicity shirt dress pattern twice now and I have plans for more, maybe with the Liberty silk I bought cheap recently.

https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-shirt-dress-simplicity-pattern-8014?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvr3KBRD_ARIsANSQYJoylIj-i2S7H6WA_pVkx4Cg7j5PL8XILKgcDPA-r2CUuUeqMGM7R74aAqAtEALw_wcB

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 11:06:47 AM »
Sam, that looks lovely.  It's definitley going on the list!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Manuela

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 11:28:02 AM »
I found this cotton + steel fabric as a 'maybe' starting point to recreate my version of the Gucci dress fabric I posted earlier.

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 12:23:08 PM »
Mmmmmm, lovely.....

Jessie