The Sewing Place

Share your sewing inspiration/plans

Samantha

Re: Share your sewing inspiration/plans
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 14:43:03 PM »
Jessie - photos of the made up shirt dresses for you...

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 16:11:24 PM by Samantha »

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 14:52:13 PM »
Oh, they are lovely Sam! I've made a note of that pattern number, and I'll be getting it on Saturday if they have it in stock.

Another one for my hols!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Manuela

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 15:15:57 PM »
Great dresses, the one with the parots makes me smile  :loveit:

Samantha

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 16:14:33 PM »
Thanks both!  :loveit:

The gold one was for a Christmas party - doubt I'll wear it again any time soon so I took a few short cuts but the denim one I knew I'd wear loads so I took my time, I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.

warpbywarpweft

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2017, 09:31:57 AM »
By comparison to some of the posts on here my plans are really simple (I am in awe of some of your ideas, they look amazing!) , I have already made http://www.sewmesomething.co.uk/catalogue_item.php?catID=11785&prodID=87143 these in linen and fancy a wool pair for winter and also from the same pattern range I quite fancy making this:  http://www.sewmesomething.co.uk/catalogue_item.php?catID=11785&prodID=97417 and this:
 http://www.sewmesomething.co.uk/catalogue_item.php?catID=11785&prodID=96972

I haven't figured out how to do 'tidy' links yet!

wrenkins

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2017, 10:24:02 AM »
To add a link in a post:
Open the link you want to show in a separate browser tab. 
Highlight and copy the URL (the URL is the www bit as shown at the top of your web browser)
Back to the TSP reply box and type a descriptive word or two such as this link
Highlight those words and click on the icon which looks a bit like a tennis ball with a small rectangle over it.
That puts [url] before your highlighted words (and [/url ] after them).
Carefully position your curser so that it comes between the l and the ] and type =
then paste the saved URL immediately after the = 

I made a note of this from one of Brenda's posts thhe other day. I haven't used it but I hope it helps.  :)
I'm going to strt a new thing and instead of calling it UFOs I'm going to name it USOs. Unstarted objects!!!! I could start a new country with the number of plans I have bubbling!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lizzy777

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2017, 10:58:30 AM »
I use a macbook so don't know if it is any different on a pc but all I do is click the cursor in the address bar of the actual page, press 'copy' and then
come onto the forum and in the reply box then press 'paste'?

warpbywarpweft

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2017, 18:33:41 PM »
Thanks all, I will have a try now:

With one of these wool fabric for the trousers

Missie

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »
If I can sort out my logistics, I have a black tie event at the end of Sept and need a posh frock.  Am looking at the Decades of Style 1940's evening gown, in a lovely forest green methinks, if I can sort diary and then find fabric  :D

Holly Berry

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2017, 17:13:03 PM »
I've got lots to do, both from my stash and from some fabric I bought a few weeks ago. I'm hoping that this thread will have the same impact on me as the stash busting competition had, i.e. If I put on here it will spur me on.

I've cut the patterns out and have nearly finished all the alterations. Two of them I think I will need to make toiles as they were quite tricky and I don't trust the pattern fitting on expensive fabric.

These are the more formal dresses and jackets.

Procrastination get behind me

Holly Berry

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 17:20:30 PM »
Part 2

The more casual. The plum and slate fabric is soft linen and the teal is Japanese gauze. These are for wide leg summer trousers. The patterned fabrics are cotton and are for short sleeved tops.

The cream and purple and navy and cream are for some simple shift dresses.

Manuela

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2017, 00:33:25 AM »
Holly Berry, taking pictures like this is agreat idea, participarly draping two fabrics over the dress form. I love that you can visualise possible combination and keemtrack of your plans.
Thinking about how to ustilise it for me, I'd probably use sketches... Thank you for the inspiration  :loveit:

BrendaP

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2017, 10:28:22 AM »
Visualising what a fabric will look like when made up is a useful skill, but I think the only way to learn it is lots and lots of  practice.

Years ago when there were several decent fabric shops in one town I would buy a pattern, open it and look at the layout sketches and line drawings and then mooch around the fabric shops, hold fabrics up and look at them draped beside the pattern and eventually I found that I could 'see' what the finished garment would look like.

Now the approach has to be a bit different. :(
Most of my fabric is now bought online so instead of starting with the pattern and choosing fabric to suit I start with fabric and then find a pattern to go with it - it's why I now have a couple of boxes of patterns, some of which have never been used -<
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Holly Berry

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2017, 13:12:52 PM »
I very rarely now buy a pattern and fabric together. I get Sew Today and am often swayed to buy a pattern because it looks so good in the fabric. Unfortunately because it's American the fabric can't be bought here. Consequently like you, I buy patterns that are now in boxes.

I have now become a fabric and patternaholic. Consequently not only do have a large pattern collection, but a huge stash of fabric. I tend to buy in lengths, i.e. 2mtrs for a top, 1.5mtrs for trousers, 2.5-3mtrs for a dress etc.

The logical thing would therefore be for me now to match a new pattern with fabric I already have..... no I still buy fabric on impulse  :|. That's why this thread made me think and I draped the fabric on my dress form and put the pattern against it, as I could see better the fabric unfolded,I then took a photo as a reminder. To be honest when I started this exercise I found fabric I'd forgotten I had :o

Roger

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2017, 19:58:31 PM »
I got back into sewing for 2 reasons...

1) to make turning up the kids trousers easier (thank you blind stitch!)
2) to make and repair the Mrs' Belly dance costume

Admittedly the making of Belly dance clothes is a little stunted due to my enthusiasm for old machines... no siree no procrastination here :) but I have made 2 pairs of Salwar :)

so here is my creative inspiration area for Belly Dance costume https://uk.pinterest.com/utburd/bd-costume/
I also have a board where I keep belly dance DIY which is kind of costume hints and tips... https://uk.pinterest.com/utburd/bd-diy/

I also have a couple of boards with stuff for the kids and some other bits but they're very dull in comparison!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132