The Sewing Place

Colour choices

BrendaP

Re: Colour choices
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 11:17:07 AM »

To stop the fraying in the wash I overlock the edges - it is also my indicator that fabric has been washed and is ready to use.

Me to - just have to make sure the fabric goes strait into the was as soon as the edges have been overlocked.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 11:38:24 AM »
Unfortunately Maximum it was every bit as bad. I had to cut it apart in some places but you must admit everyone...you did gasp and then laugh when you saw that picture!!!  0_0 0_0 0_0
You know you did.  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 11:58:03 AM »
I certainly had an OMG moment Wren... please don't let it put you off. Just remember the adage........no wash, no fray, no creases  :D
I do love batiks in a jelly roll, especially Hoffman's Bali Pops, they are quite subtle but with a zing  <3
 :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 12:25:54 PM »
Oh yes Low the bali pops are gorgeous. I like tide pool and volano.
I had another look. The tan/orange in the lighter pack is the colour of jeans thread. An odd combo with soft heathers and mauves.  :S There are a couple of denimy type colours too; one shot with grey and one with black. The spotty denim is still very much in the frame.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 12:34:32 PM »
I think one issue with jelly rolls is that you get rather a lot of middling tones and not enough contrasting strips. My first quilt top (yet to be backed and quilted) was from a jelly roll but I wouldn't use one again unless I was wanting something quite random.  Pam and Nicky Lintott's books (from The Quilt Room) are good for jelly roll patterns.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 12:48:27 PM »
I like Jelly rolls and other precuts and my Sissix as I can't cut very straight  :| ( despite the good advice from Imi,DOB and Brenda  :| ) but they are limiting. I use a mixture of yardage and fqs mainly ( discarding the leftovers so I don't have to try "no waste methods" ) However, single colour jr can be useful for quick binding

supergran

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 13:52:14 PM »
Pre cuts are hard to find here now. We used to get them and we paid the same in euros as you pay in pounds, but then the price went up alarmingly and Kate had to stop stocking them as no one would pay 60 euros for a layer cake. We have to use mail order if we want them now.

BrendaP

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2017, 17:34:13 PM »
I think one issue with jelly rolls is that you get rather a lot of middling tones and not enough contrasting strips.

Yep, I agree, and that applies to charm packs, layer cakes or any other pre-cut selection.  Also it often applies to fixed choice bundles of FQs.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Maximum

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2017, 18:12:03 PM »
I agree with precuts (rolls, charms etc) being useful but limited. There is nearly always at last one fabric I hate and will try and avoid using so the savings in buying the 'bundle' are lost. The coordinated ranges of fabric are good but you still need background and some plains to pull it all together. Luckily for me Secret Garden Quilting are nearby and I get lots of helpful suggestions on what might go with what.
At the beginning of a project I find it difficult to choose but once the main decisions have been made and blocks complete it is much easier to choose fabric for sashing, borders and binding. I've not tried quilt as you go and I think the extra decisions would leave me stuck and unable to start

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2017, 18:21:35 PM »
So glad you are persevering Wrenkie ....

I'm racking my brains thinking of how I could help you here, as I have the same (I'm pretty sure ) JR ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Syrinx

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2017, 19:48:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure I bought a jelly roll of moda grunge basics when I did the bargello (why not?!) but can't bring myself to use them. I love them too much! As they are textured basics it would be all about the quilting and the whole simple design with the jellies to show off the beautiful fabrics. Good range of lights/darks and tones. But never came up with a good enough design to use them.

I too never wash!

Too much hassle. I think the dark murky colours can make really beuatiful quilts, just treat them as somewhat of a background and go for subtle designs that you can show off your quilting skills with using a bright contrasting thread. You can also intersperse a brighter complimentary colour fabric as a feature for design. If you get it right you could even manage a faintly 3D effect with the bright colour sitting above the darker ones.

Stuff like this and this

You could also manage a tumbling blocks quilt with jellies I think?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 19:51:22 PM by Syrinx »

wrenkins

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2017, 21:09:25 PM »
Quilting skills?!?!?!?!?!? I've never quilted anything in my puff! (I'm getting shrill  :S)
I've trimmed off all the worst of the fraying and taken out the very worst colours and now it looks like "the middle aged mans'" rail in M&S.  :x I suppose you could call it an improvement. :\
I've looked at subtle batiks but I'm worried that's just carrying on the sludge theme. I've looked at brights but the concern there is that my subtle ones will look dirty...
What colour slacks do middle aged men wear....hmmmm.... I might be onto something.

BrendaP

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 22:21:13 PM »
No they won't!

You need the dull, subtle, greige colours in the background to make the brights sing and pop out at you. 

Brights alone look garish - ask how I know!  I followed a crafts "colour theory" block of the month thing and ended up with this.  It's all brights with no background and just doesn't gel :devil:

Lowena

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 00:41:15 AM »
A bright, clear colour is just what you need to compliment your subtle shades.........trust us and go for it  :D

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 07:01:44 AM »
Well Done Brenda, you completed that ghastly course!

I started the course but gave up. The two tutors were similarly hideous too, if I remember correctly.... but your quilt looks lovely, as ever,  in a Wham in your Face sort of way!

I agree with everything said and wish I could make a subtle quilt but subtle does seem to be beyond me!  :P
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again