The Sewing Place

Colour choices

wrenkins

Re: Colour choices
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2017, 09:04:01 AM »
I like that Brenda.  :S but I do know what you mean though.
I have difficulty treading the fine line between too contrasty, and "clown sick".

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2017, 10:04:28 AM »
I think your quilt looks great Bren, very striking  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2017, 10:50:15 AM »
you completed that ghastly course!

I did!

What I learned from it wasn't colour theory as such; I already knew about the colour wheel, lights and darks, proportions etc.  What did become very apparant from the experience is that whilst I very much like bright colours they do need to be balanced by neutrals, (greys, beiges, black, white).  Those are missing from that quilt.  I also like pattern but the different blocks are such a hotch-potch.

It's the same when putting an outfit together.  You might choose a brightly coloured, patterned top but then add plain black trousers and pick one of the colours for a scarf.  You wouldn't (I hope! :ninja:) go for a pink and green floral print top, blue and red checked trousers and then add a turquoise jacket.  Bright colours can be the dominant part ie a dress, but the accessories need to be plainer and subtle.

Wrenkins, use your sludgy, cowpat colours with bright contrasting colours.  Maybe choose one of the many star blocks and use bright colours for the stars and the dull, subtle ones for the background pieces.  Use lots of different subtle colours scattered randomly through the quilt, but keep them broadly in the same colour family, and the bright colours will sing out.  Go for it! :flower:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:56:23 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Syrinx

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2017, 12:03:07 PM »
I have had a thought!

I inherited a bunch of quilting books from a friend's grandmother a fair few years ago. They were obviously published at a time when these mucky browny cowpats were high fashion, so all of the examples in a couple of the books are in those sorts of colours. It can be quite hard sometimes to see what a brighter version of the blocks might look like!

I'll dig a couple out and photograph some of the quilts for you - all lovely boring browny clown vomit. I'm sure a bright colour woven in would do them the world of good!

wrenkins

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »
https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/supplies/boundless-blenders-botanical-oasis-precut-fabric/457578
These arrived yesterday!
That's more liker it!!!!
I'm still thinking about my subtles but these I could just lick with lovliness.  :P I got the midnight in the same range in a longer length to use on my sea glass quilt. I don't actually have a sea glass quilt but I will.  8)
Incidently, they have been washed and ironed and haven't frayed to b*****y or screwed themselves up in a ball. Made in Japan (as is R&B which is also fab quality).... Yes that's another project in the making. I need to start cutting and sewing....I'd get on better!  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Pearl

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2017, 08:30:14 AM »
Oh, my!!  They are GORGEOUS. <3 :) <3

wrenkins

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
Thanks Pearl. They are definitely more my thing.  :loveit: Now the problem is too many choices! A terrible problem to have!  0_0

Pearl

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2017, 09:14:09 AM »
 :D  If I were you, I would stroke them forever a while.

rubywishes

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2017, 09:38:25 AM »
Ooooo they are lovely...very scary cutting into those little guys!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Ploshkin

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2017, 09:39:22 AM »
Fab colours.  I've realised I need to go for some brighter stuff sometimes.  My colour choices always seem to be muted.
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2018, 07:44:33 AM »
I haven't been on this thread for a while but in light of my efforts to help Craftsy to destash I'm having another slight quandry. I'm going to do this but not staggered and I'm going to do it with this and some white on whites.
The colours came as fat quarters and I need the length of my 2.5in strips to be 36". Would I be better to sew two from the same FQ together to make the strip or would it make it more interesting/too fussy to use two from different FQs but the same colour group to make a strip? The colours are gorgeous in the flesh. Lovely and clear and bright.  :loveit:

BrendaP

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2018, 09:23:18 AM »
I think that each coloured strip needs to be the same fabric, with a join if necessary, but the whites can be a random mix of whatever you have.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2018, 09:29:03 AM »
I'd certainly use the same fabric for the coloured strip.A join won't detract from the finished article

Ploshkin

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2018, 15:10:35 PM »
If there is enough length to do it I would cut the strips on the lengthwise grain so that they are much more stable when sewing the long strips together and less inclined to warp.

I did this on the convergence quilt that I did for project Linus and I also cut strips on lengthwise grain for log cabins and it really made them a breeze to sew.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2018, 17:25:18 PM »
@Ploshkin  I don't know what / where the grain is... let alone how to find it  :| Is there any hope for me?  :| ( never did sewing at school and Mum didn't sew )