The Sewing Place

Give me advice on this fabric please

hernibs

Give me advice on this fabric please
« on: June 25, 2017, 16:06:52 PM »
Although I am not making anything at the moment I want advice re this fabric I have seen on ebay.  I want a shortsleeved top to wear under my black suit but I want some colour as well  - given that I love japanese florals I like this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Japanese-Cherry-Blossom-Branches-100-Viscose-Challis-Print-Fabric-140cm-Wide/201845108521?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=501870168079&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

What I'm not sure of is the fabric's workability for me, a not terribly experienced sewer who doesn't want a fabric which is hard to sew.

Would appreciate some views please.

Thanks.

sewingj

Re: Give me advice on this fabric please
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 16:51:45 PM »
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 12:21:43 PM by sewingj »

maliw

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 17:21:05 PM »
According to this website
http://www.fabricgodmother.co.uk/fresia-viscose-challis-black/
the fabric is suitable for a blouse. It does however, apparently shrink slightly. Viscose can be awkward to sew, I don't mind it but it can feel quite 'flimsy' and some do fray quite a lot. Love the fabric it's a really pretty pattern.
You might also find this useful
http://so-sew-easy.com/sewing-viscose-rayon/
I like this website  as they give free patterns but lots of advice, hints and tips.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 17:25:41 PM »
I agree with sewingj about the scale of the print.

If you are in Google looking at images you can drop a photo into the search box and it finds similar images.

That fabric is also available at
https://www.remnanthousefabric.co.uk/dress_fabric/polyester-dress-fabric/FINLEY-VISCOSE-DRESS-FABRIC
for £3.99 per metre compared to the ebay shop asking £2.10 per half metre.

But Remnant House want £4.95 postage compared to ebay's £1.25 (max £3.50).  However they do offer a sampling service for the cost of a stamped addressed envelope, which, if the sample is a reasonable size, should give you an idea of the scale of the print.
https://www.remnanthousefabric.co.uk/delivery-information

Viscose challis is alightweight woven fabric so should be easy to sew, though it probably frays fairly readily so make sure you have decent seam allownaces and get them properly neatened.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 17:52:12 PM »

« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 12:20:58 PM by sewingj »

hernibs

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 18:11:05 PM »
Thank you all for your time and advice....not so desperately worried about the size of the pattern on the fabric, needed to know how easy/difficult to sew that fabric can be and thanks, I think I realise it might be doable with care.

Grateful for all the links too.

hernibs

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 18:16:43 PM »
Just a thought, been in to the Remnant House site - however cheaper it is I will not purchase from them as they discriminate against certain Postcodes and that really gets me cross.  Of course Northern Ireland is one of them.  Plenty of others there too.  Rant over!

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 18:19:42 PM »
I've sewn loads of things in viscose and never found it difficult to sew. Viscose has a nice drape. It's usually quite a bit softer than cotton.

I agree. Postcode discrimination is not on. They could just post it using Royal Mail.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 23:59:25 PM »
Brenda - searching for the image on Google is a blooming brilliant idea but I don`t understand how to do it!  Please can you explain in words of one syllable?

got to www.google.co.uk/
Type anything you like into the search box and it automatically takes you to a list of websites.  At the top of that page, below the search box it says
All   shopping   maps   images   videos   more
Click on the word images and instead of the list of websites you get lots of pictures relating to whatever you are searching for.
Now click on an image, either from that page or one saved to your computer and drag it towards the search box which should change and give a message to 'drop image here'.

Depending on the image you will then get several visually similar images, if not the exact same one from elsewhere on the web.  Yes, it was how I found the same fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 00:05:39 AM »
Just a thought, been in to the Remnant House site - however cheaper it is I will not purchase from them as they discriminate against certain Postcodes and that really gets me cross.  Of course Northern Ireland is one of them.  Plenty of others there too.  Rant over!

I understand your frustrations.

With that particular company it looks as though they use Royal Mail for smaller parcels, which of course mean that they deliver to all parts of the UK for the same price, but when it comes to free delivery for orders over £30 or whatever it's limited to mainland only and excludes Highlands, Islands and N Ireland which strongly suggests that they use a courier for those orders, and it's the couriers who won't go off the beaten track or across water.

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 09:22:14 AM »
Right there with you hernibs. I have even found a company who will deliver to my mum in Co. Antrim and won't deliver to me. WHAT???
I once had a seller on ebay who wanted to charge me £10 P&P on a shower curtain. I politely pointed out that I could fly over and pick it up cheaper than that and sent him a copy of the Flybe free flights to Liverpool.
If you contact the firm you may be able to negotiate a Royal Mail delivery. This is the UK after all.It may just cost you a little more.
Don't even start me about Hermes!!! Ever wondered why they're self employed?  0_0
I have six neighbours within a one mile radius and when I'm expecting a delivery...which is pretty much weekly, I have to check all their sheds and porches. He's cost me a fortune.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 10:17:00 AM »
I love your fabric choice HN, but the delivery is outrageous!

Do you know anyone who can have it delivered to them and forward it for you?  Come to think of it, I'd be happy to do that. Don't know if it would be cheaper, but how bad can it be? ....

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

hernibs

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 18:55:22 PM »
Thanks for the offer Jessie - it won't come to that!
As I get a lot of craft items and particularly heavy card and paper I've got wise.  We go to Berwick at least once a year and this year I ordered a lot of card and paper and crafty things and had them delivered to my son free of charge....They are items which I cannot get at home or in N.Ireland and have no option but to do it this way.  Otherwise I will not pay through the nose....I have told many companies that they are discriminating against us but they couldn't care less.

hernibs

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 19:00:13 PM »
Wrenkins - our Hermes guy is a local guy from the town and is supberb....trustworthy in all things.  Even comes back to get a return.  I know they are not all like him but I am grateful he is so good.

I often wonder how some things are so bad postal wise. 

I don't have a problem for instance when I order arty stuff from Curtisward in England and if I order in the morning and I pay them £2.95 postage -  it arrives with me the next day.  I don't begrudge them that price.  I want service and get it from them.  Some sellers on ebay are disgraceful - I just don't purchase from the baddies.