The Sewing Place

Good source for designs suitable for a little girl please

Mama likes to make

Good source for designs suitable for a little girl please
« on: July 01, 2017, 18:54:50 PM »
I have only ever used the design's built into my machine, I have never purchased any but would love to get some nice ones suitable for DD. She loves unicorns and rainbows but I don't even know where to begin never mind what are reputable sites!

Also is it ever possible to purchase popular characters or are they always TM violations?
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Acorn

Re: Good source for designs suitable for a little girl please
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 19:06:21 PM »
I am sure I've read recently that Brother have the rights to the Disney characters - I don't know whether that means you have to have a Brother machine to use them.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 19:08:45 PM »
Thank you acorn I will look into that. I should have said I have a Husqvarana Viking machine as well actually.
2018 fabric used 12m.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 19:32:24 PM »
Try Bunnycup for some cute children's designs.  No, popular characters such as Disney etc are going to be illegal.  Brother no longer has the license for Disney and so no machines are produced with these on.  Obviously an older Disney machine will still be usable. You won't be able to get anything like that for your Husqvarna.
Of course there is also Embroidery library which is well known and has masses of designs at reasonable prices as you can buy one at a time if you want.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 19:42:25 PM »
Thank you so much OSS I will definitely check those out.
2018 fabric used 12m.

Lyn-J

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 23:33:23 PM »
try OESD (large site, very reputable)

I found Brother Disney which seem to be available in multiple formats.

and this on ebay  69,000 designs for £1.99 - what have you got to lose (ETA - might not be legal)

and  format conversion software with free designs: Artlink Its from Bernina, but will work with other machines.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:29:57 AM by Lyn-J »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 20:20:21 PM »
Ahh.  Interesting Lyn-J.  But looks like the Disney stuff is only for the Brother machines.  There is a list of compatible machines when you click on the design number.
The eBay disc is definitely illegal!

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 20:32:19 PM »
You can get software that converts embroidery files from one company's format to another - I found a lot of listings for free software when I Googled 'convert embroidery file'.

I have no experience of them though - I haven't even got my machine yet!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
It's possible that the Disney ones wouldn't be able to be converted.  Brother will probably have put something in place to stop this in line with their agreement with Disney.  I know you couldn't convert them before when the machines were current and their packs of designs were being sold. 

Lyn-J

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 08:37:55 AM »
Ahh.  Interesting Lyn-J.  But looks like the Disney stuff is only for the Brother machines.  There is a list of compatible machines when you click on the design number.
Oh gosh - that is Brother machines, my understanding is they all take PES format, which can be converted.

The eBay disc is definitely illegal!
Don't say that! I've got a similar disc at home!  :(  All the designs were no longer in production, I was never to sure how legit it was and have never used them. It was interesting to see how the designs were made, stitches used etc.

Mama What machine do you have?

KayK

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 17:54:50 PM »
I may have possibly got this completely wrong, but I think Brother at one time sold machines that had only Disney designs built in to the machines memory?  I know I have seen plenty of these Disney embroidery machines for sale on that well known auction website that I daren't mention its name!  And some of them have been going for silly prices, certainly less than the software would be! 

Have a look!!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Syrinx

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 19:08:53 PM »
Another good site is urban Threads. Lovely designs and often have sales on :)
New designs very very regularly as well.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 19:48:48 PM »
Oh gosh - that is Brother machines, my understanding is they all take PES format, which can be converted.
Don't say that! I've got a similar disc at home!  :(  All the designs were no longer in production, I was never to sure how legit it was and have never used them. It was interesting to see how the designs were made, stitches used etc.

Yes it will be PES  format but I know that previous Disney designs could not be converted.  As there is a list of the machines they can be used with I suspect that they have done something similar with these.  I could have found out last week as I saw the Brother rep! :P

And yes, sorry but these sort of discs are definitely illegal.  They are advertising Disney designs and you need a license for this.  These are designs that have been copied.  Sometimes you come across  designs such as Disney characters etc that have been digitised from an image by an individual.  These are also illegal.  No one is allowed to do this without permission and a license.  Disney itself is very hot on this and I know at one time they were actually taking people to court in America, including the purchasers.  Russian sites were well known for this, not sure about the situation now. 

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 19:50:25 PM »
I may have possibly got this completely wrong, but I think Brother at one time sold machines that had only Disney designs built in to the machines memory?  I know I have seen plenty of these Disney embroidery machines for sale on that well known auction website that I daren't mention its name!  And some of them have been going for silly prices, certainly less than the software would be! 
Have a look!!

The Disney machines will be quite old now.  I would be careful what you purchase or you could end up with a lemon. 

Mama likes to make

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 23:31:01 PM »
Lyn-J I have a husqvarna viking machine.

Thanks for all the help. I definitely want to steer clear of the illegal ones and just use a reputable source so I will stick to buying the Disney patches and buttons to add to her things.
2018 fabric used 12m.