The Sewing Place

Sewing Elastic - Double Needle?

charlotte

Sewing Elastic - Double Needle?
« on: July 03, 2017, 12:45:45 PM »
For my PJ trousers (woven, non-stretch), instead of making an elastic casing I want to stitch the elastic to the top of the trousers and fold it down and topstitch (through the elastic), as I think it looks a little bit neater.

I have a pair of RTW trousers made like this, and it looks like the elastic is just stitched on with a straight stitch.

I thought you had to stitch elastic with a zig zag or some magic overlocker stitch (I don't have an overlocker so this isn't an option).

Could I stitch it with a twin needle? It just looks a bit neater than a zigzag topstitch in my opinion. Or has my whole life been a lie and I can just stitch it with a straight stitch?

BrendaP

Re: Sewing Elastic - Double Needle?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 13:19:55 PM »
This is the sort of thing for which you should make a sample of to see if you like it, and if it stretches enough.  If the answer is yes to both then go ahead and use the twin needle.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kad

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 15:59:56 PM »
I've done this sort of elastic waistband thing recently for a pr of jogging pants for DS,
 I used a wide triple zig-zag stitch to attach the elastic, stretching it as I sewed. Then turned the waistband to the inside and stitched it down, again stretching it out whilst sewing. Seems to be sufficiently robust to survive DS  :D

(I do have an overlocker but didn't see the need to use it especially as I may have cut the  edge of the elastic whilst attaching it)
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

charlotte

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 23:14:50 PM »
Hmmm... I think I probably will need a sample. Damn it, I hate doing samples (which is why the right piped pocket is so much better than the left one)!