The Sewing Place

The Madness... 95K40

Acorn

Re: The Madness... 95K40
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 18:21:49 PM »
Thank you all!  I will find this thread on my phone next time I go in there.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Roger

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 20:02:09 PM »
I love the table too, it looks like quite late Formica rather than laminate, which was one of the reasons I asked about it.

I've become a real fan of Cabinet sewing machines, theyre so much easier to use and theres no setting up and I currently am not too sure our kitchen table would take the Pfaff... its from Ikea and seems to cope with the kids...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Roger

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 21:35:18 PM »
I've added an article to the tutorials around identifying Singers and some surrounding details.

I didnt want the details to disappear somewhere in this meandery fixy thread...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Roger

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 16:05:22 PM »
It's just arrived, it's in good nick... with a host of spiders, still turns smoothly and has approximately one million bobbins and 3-4 cases... some of the bobbins seem to be different depths...

It really needs a new plug the old plug is scary!

Roger

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 23:22:39 PM »
This machine is a beast! its large and heavy and very very sturdy. (to give you some impression the last picture is a bottle of wine and bar of chocolate next to the head...)

This machine is filthy, but still so smooth, the oil had turned to thick orange goop and covered in orangey fluff, the bobbin was glued inside the bobbin case, and the bobbin case in side the race, and the foot but I managed to get this lot free. but I havent been able to free the needle yet.

The front plate was also stuck and wouldn't shift but after oiling it unexpectedly fell off.

The Goop/fuzz combo is spectacularly hard to shift and is due another night of or 2 of work. The Japaning is in excellent shape but not as smoothly finished as you would expect on a domestic machine, but was covered in a layer of black oily dust, which in some areas is really thick (like under the bobbin winder)

I've also started a drop box folder for this one too: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/84i5pob7yiorlnc/AACJ0qnTlj-7KCANyUsa0xuda?dl=0
I have a box of needles I assume are for it, but dont seem to be marked with the expected '88x1'. and I have a load of parts and feet that look invaluable including one absolutely minute industrial foot. I also have 4 bags of bobbins and each bag is subtly different to the others, some are deeper, some are all round bigger... Im not sure which ones are 'optimal'

and the Serial number EG062787 which would make it 1950s... I initially misread the SN and found it in a batch of 1930s 15ks :)

but oh my is it smooth... even grubby and not properly oiled.

Once I work out how to dislodge a stuck needle. I suspect wiggling it with pliers maybe?

Roger

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 23:14:35 PM »
Hooray! The needle came free, but doesn't match the needles in the box... looks like I need some new needles the bobbin matches the smaller ones.

Still heading towards cleaner, but I ran out of baby wipes and my singer oil supplies are low...

arrow

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 21:02:50 PM »
I see you keep your vintage machine on an antioxidant rich diet, and it looks like it works ;- )

It's fun and intersting to read your post on this machine.

I see what you mean by goop and oil from the pic of the feed dogs too. I'm not much help there, I use oil, spray can stuff, and scrape it off with tooth picks and wooden scewers. Some metal polishes are very good cleaners too; like Quick-Glow, but keep it away from the black lacquer. It needs time, effort and several turns. Autosol is not that good for this type of grime.

If the Japanning is covered in it, microfiber cloths wringed up in soapy water will work; and when it's reasonably clean; a resin based car polish will further lift up grime; they are added some kind of fine gritty powder.

Roger

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 22:00:50 PM »
The Diet has left this machine really built! glad I don't aspire to move it often... it puts a whole new meaning to the idea of a portable machine :) Although it has lost a considerable amount of weight in goop and fluff!

I'm really glad you're enjoying the posts about this machine, I have to say I cant wait to see how it works I might do a side by side test with a 201, because it really is so smooth! but I'm not sure is that is 'vintage smooth' or '201 smooth'. My youngest had a go turning the hand wheel and told me how lovely and smooth it is.

I like to use a PC screw driver on bare metal it really shifts the grime and then a polish with a wet wipe... I'll have a look for some micro fibre cloths. Thank you for the tips!

Roger

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 21:44:21 PM »
I've finished the clean! Hooray!
I seem to have somehow misplaced a screw... fortunately the one for the presser foot, so I replaced it with a vintage singer thumbscrew, which works a treat, Id like to do the same with the needle screw too.  I've put it all back together, but haven't polished it. Ive also replaced the plug, so I had the clutch motor running this afternoon, smells like it needs a good run in!

I'm waiting for needles to arrive for it, so I haven't been able to test the sewing on it.

<3 Pleasant surprises:
1) I think its almost as smooth as my 201
2) it has a very wide range of feet both vintage and modern
3) the bobbins are not excessively huge
4) that its a very affordable machine, compared to a lot of domestic Singers, (I bought this for £35 + courier £45)
5) the needles are reasonably available and in most sizes and ball point or sharp, and not overly expensive.

8) I was concerned that:
1) it wouldn't feel 'special' or especially smooth > I was very wrong here. the machine itself is very smooth before cleaning there was a heaviness to the action after cleaning the action is very smooth and effortless.
2) That the clutch motor would be noisy > It constantly hums, and sounds a little sci-fi, but its not noisy or disruptive
3) That the speed would be hard to control, or very off/on bearing in mind this machine has a top speed of 3-4000 stitches a minute> I'm relieved to say that this is not the case! and that stitch speed seems to be very controllable.

:devil:Gotchas:
1) the screws that hold the machine into the case, seem to use a Imperial allen key, I used pliers to loosen them
2) somewhat niche needle size, not too many needle styles, no leather needles, just sharp or ball point
3) Very very heavy!
4) The lacquer/ Japanning is not as smoothly finished as similarly aged home machine, the bed is very smooth though.

:fish: the industrial button hole device equivalent of the adjustable black Singer domestic one doesn't finish the ends well apparently, so its looks like the Pfaff and the 201 are still necessary :)

I have to say I'm really enjoying this machine and cant wait to try sewing on it!

arrow

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 23:14:49 PM »
It all sounds very lovely. I don't think you will miss the leather needles with dagger shaped tips. Sharp point is often just as good, and if your machine can take large size needles (thicker) it will even out any disadvantage in limited selection of needle tips. The problem with leather is mostly when you want to use a nice thick thread, and it's the needle size that limits it. Your machine should not lack needle punch power in the least.

I knew the machine it self would turn smoothly, but the motor and high speeds really can be noisy on some industrials. Luckily not all :- )

Congratulations with a nice clean up!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 13:42:40 PM by arrow »

Roger

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 13:24:33 PM »
Thanks Arrow,

I'm not planning to sew leather on it really, except maybe some very light stuff, definitely no vegetable tanned or belt/harness leather. But its good to know that sharps should manage most activities, I didn't bother getting any jersey points for it because Stretch materials are going to need a zigzag or overlocker.

Im looking forward to seeing how this machine sews

Marniesews

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 13:34:13 PM »
...and then another comes along.

If anyone is feeling envious of your beast, there's another for £15 on eBay. https://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-collectibles/singer-95k40-vintage-sewing-machine/1255416758 That motor!
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Roger

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 19:12:12 PM »
I had this sewing the other day... only 2 flaws:
1) it blew the power after 15 minutes... yep I'm buying a plug thingy... no idea why, or why it took 15 minutes.

2) it was forming some stitches, but they were loose and the threads could be pulled out. I suspect it's not threaded right and the tension isn't great...

But oh my goodness is it a lovely sewing experience, smooth as glass, even take off, very controllable and so confident and firm.  The prior owner of this one did so well with the set up...

But the 500a was forced to pick up stitching the elastic in my daughter's ballet shoes! And it did it with only a minimum amount of grumpiness.

arrow

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 21:05:19 PM »
Blowing fuses is usually a capacitor, but I guess faulty wiring in general can end up short circuiting too. I hope you can have it sorted out, the machine sounds like a dream from your description.

I mangaged a sort of ciris repair in a pair of boots on my 201. It was a leather-gortex type material, and the stitching came undone in the upper parts near the ankle. It was my only machine I could maneuver the material under the presser foot, and I just had to have them on later that day. I know have a pair of new boots, but the repair on the old is still holding up. I have to keep an eye out for a 401, or a 431, I guess that's as close to a 500 as I will get. 

Roger

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2018, 07:44:08 AM »
Finally got to the bottom of the electrical issue... the motor require 500ws and apparently the house supply is less, hence the issues.

Darn... and 500ws seems to be standard for the industrial motors. And a dedicated power supply and cable is not cheap!

Pretty massive gotcha on that one! Bah!