The Sewing Place

Featherweight 221-K-1

BrendaP

Featherweight 221-K-1
« on: July 04, 2017, 23:14:24 PM »
I'm now the proud new owner of a Singer Featherweight  0_0  Bought from a friend who's 'decluttering' as she's thinking of downsizing.  I've named her Thirza after my friend's late mother who was her previous owner.

She was born May 1949 and has been well looked after.  There are a couple of marks on the extension plate (not where it hits the faceplate thumbscrew) but the decals are all in good condition.  Jean told me that she had had it serviced but then only used it a couple of times and I think that shows as there was no muck, grime or fluff to clean away.

The only problem seems to be that the belt is a bit slack.  It sews OK but sometimes it's necessary to flick the hand wheel to get it started.  Are they difficult to change, or difficult to get hold of?

It came with the instruction book, just two bobbins (plus another 2 which might be class 66 bobbins but they don't look quite the same as those I have for  the 201) and only the standard foot, but that's no problem, I think the attachments for the 201, apart from bobbins, will fit?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 00:26:14 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

arrow

Re: Featherweight 221K1
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 23:37:43 PM »
Congratulations!

It's listed as a Singer low shank; all the old straight stitchers (low shank) generally take the same accessories. I have bumped into a few problems with jumping feet, darning feet; and not all will go on my 99K. I broke an Elna darning foot when I used it on my 201; it was a low shank foot. That said, I know the small darning foot in the 201 accessory box work fine on the 221.

The belt is easy to replace and easy to find. You have to use correct bobbins (the same as for the 301). You could take offthe belt, wipe it clean, the same for the motor pulley and groove in the hand wheel; it might grip better after.

You know how it all works; detect oil points, oil and run the machine; repeat if it was slow or very dry to start with. This is probably the model with the most tutorials; blog posts and videos on.

Roger

Re: Featherweight 221-K-1
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 14:35:15 PM »
Hi Brenda,

Congratulations on your Featherweight!

Belt changing is pretty easy, Helen Howes is a great source for them.

I do have an Elna hopping foot and the sought after singer hopping foot at the moment, which I've been thinking about selling. If you're interested let me know.

Roger

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 18:16:15 PM »
Hi Roger

I've just sent you a PM.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

arrow

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 20:33:07 PM »
I wish I sent that PM first lol

I hope you will find time and reason to sew on the Featherweight. Since I bought the 201 I can't really see the need for a light weight portable, but it's such a sought after gem it can attempt any one. For me old sewing machines tend to be dirty things I spend days cleaning, freshening up drawers and airing out boxes. It pays off though, and I'm usually happy with the result.

I'm ordering a couple of lugged belt to try. I need the correct size and I can't find brand new replacements of the v-type belts, at least not in correct size. You have to let us know how yours stitches. If the belt is in good condition, it's probably enough to wipe off, maybe slighly roughen the surface if the rubber has hardened. If it's cracking, cumbling or stiff I lean towards a new one righ away.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 08:23:03 AM »
So far I've only done test pieces with it, but the stitches looks to be good.

I think that long term the 201 will remain my choice of machine for any straight stitching but because it's amall and portable it may well end up being used for little jobs away from my sewing room.  Indeed when my husband saw it he actually said "that's the sort of thing you could take on holiday"

I am just starting on a big patchwork project so I'll use it for the piecing but probably not for the quilting and will let you know how it goes.