The Sewing Place

Wedding Present

Lowena

Re: Wedding Present
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 10:15:33 AM »
Without sashing the front is straightforward and the back, you have one side longer, fold it over the shorter piece and slip stitch. I'm not a fan of qayg with sashing as they all tend to look the same to me  -<
I feel your pain with the quilting which is why I hand quilt, although I see it is not an option with your timescale. Perhaps straight , diagonal lines to make a diamond lattice might be the least onerous choice?
I love both those lc patterns. I really must try one - good luck  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 11:24:06 AM »
My very first ever quilted thing was a QAYG log cabin wallhanging.  It was easy to QAYG because you just sew the strips to the wadding and backing so it is quite literally QAYG.  The blocks were joined by sewing all layers together including a 1 1/2 finishing strip - I used the pattern fabric from the front.  After the seam is done you trim away as much excess batting as possible to get rid of bulk.  I hand stitched the other side of the finishing strip down. iYou could do the individual blocks with different coloured backing fabrics to make a rear design.
Life's too short for ironing.

Syrinx

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »
I manage to quilt double bed size on my little janome mechanical machine. It's getting the hang on rolling the bit that goes in the tiny harp and having a reallu good plan for what you are doing. The hardest bid is the middle and that gets done first! Lots of curved safety pins.

If you want to FMQ all over in one design think carefully about what you want - just texture or something that will add some interest? Stippling gives texture but you need to practice so that you're not missing sections or getting trapped! Or you could loop de loop which is fun and a bit more forgiving as not as tight as stippling. You could also run a grid design like clam shells or cathedral windows which add a bit of interest along with the texture. I love FMQ - it's not as scary as you think! Leah Day (I think it's her!) has a lovely feather filler which is simple and very very pretty.

The loop de loop and stippling can all be slightly changed to make different designs - add a flower head in or a spiral every so often for eg.

Log cabins also lend themselves to the regular line designs that can really help with reinforcing shapes as you can do them in different directions and you can wiggle them or widen/shrink the spaces etc.

You can get quilt clips to help hold your quilt roll rolled up as well.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 12:02:24 PM »
If you're stuck for time, how about doing a small strip of quilt for going across the foot of a bed?  Like wot they have in hotels?  Or is straying from set sizes a "no-no" in quiltland?

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 12:37:22 PM »
What do you mean Bodgey "like wot they do in hotels"? I have those on all our beds..... and piles of cushions too  :P
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 13:10:29 PM »

I love the idea of a thingy to go across the end of the bed....you could even do a couple for different seasons perhaps? You'd have plenty of time to do them. Very thoughtful of you to want to make them something; whatever you do it will be appreciated I'm sure. :)

I could never do a quilt in that short time..I'm a bit of a lame snail I'm afraid...and oooooooo the added pressure of knowing I have a time limit? Yep...I'd go for the end of the bed thingys!! 0_0
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 14:55:08 PM »
What do you mean Bodgey "like wot they do in hotels"? I have those on all our beds..... and piles of cushions too  :P
No - not the cushions  ><  :P

BrendaP

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 16:47:35 PM »
I think they call those runners bed scarves.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 16:57:46 PM »
I've done a bit of googling and You-tubing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9G3wTte9qY shows how to QAYG in strips  and close the back by hand.  That method could be used for quarters as well as strips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_b9WjeP0mU and the subsequent parts 2, 3 and 4 wastes a lot of time showing her advert and waffling away but the method joins the patchwork, wadding and backing all in one go (a bit like the way I think they sew channelling into duvets.  You have to start in the middle and work outwards and would only work for strips but it did look neat.

Back to the cutting of strips.  I've got a couple of shoeboxes, one for blues/purples and greens whch is fairly full of strips and one half full of creams.  I'll start cutting them into the required lengths and then think about whether they get made into a full size quilt or just a scarf and cushions.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 17:53:54 PM »
Thats gorgeous Ploshy ...very very nice!

BI5erk, the Gourmet Quilter taught me to QAYG and that is my preferred method of joining the blocks ...

http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,992.0.html
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 20:13:03 PM »
Bed runners are great When my neighbour got married I made her one in the double wedding ring pattern which I thought was very apt and looked good. I liked it so much I made myself one in a different colour.  :D There's the advantage of a nice scallop shaped edge with that pattern as well, although it takes quite a lot of bias to bind it.
Not keen on cushions on a bed though, but that's just me.

BrendaP

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2017, 00:40:10 AM »
Well I've jumped in at the deap end, and going for a quilt that will be about 80" x 80".  'Sisters' from Judy Martin's Log cabin book, but a different layout to the one in the link I posted earlier.

I spent much of yesterday and today (well Friday and Saturday really as it's now past midnight) with the rotary cutter, but we had lunch out and then popped into Rochester and bought 8 FQs to supplement stash fabrics.  I also bought the wadding and loyalty points were enough to fill up my card so I've got a free metre of fabric next time I shop there - quite handy as I still need to buy backing fabric. :fabric:

I now have two shoeboxes full with zillions (well in excess of 2000) of tiny strips of fabric which I plan to start joining together tomorrow.  It will be the first time of seriously using my 'new' Singer Featherweight. :vintage:

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 08:19:45 AM by BrendaP »

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2017, 06:15:39 AM »
Blimey Brenda....way to go...Have you decided how to quilt the monster yet?

I wish you the best of luck, keep us updated!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2017, 08:31:48 AM »
I'll probably do it the way shown in the long winded YouTube video - one machine seam to add patchwork and backing, align the next strip of wadding, smooth the top layer down and FMQ the new strip taking it up to and over the seam.

But, there's a lot of piecing to be done before it gets to that stage.

rubywishes

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2017, 10:22:20 AM »
I now have two shoeboxes full with zillions (well in excess of 2000) of tiny strips of fabric which I plan to start joining together tomorrow.  :vintage:

:o :o Goodness!! I'm reaching for the red just at the thought of all that piecing! What a wonderful quilt it will be. 0_0
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!