The Sewing Place

Wedding Present

b15erk

Re: Wedding Present
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2017, 09:20:28 AM »
Brenda, I'm no quilter, but I was looking on Pinterest last night at qayg non-sashed quilts, and one quilt came up, which just had a sort of ric rac machine stitch in straight lines, and it was stunning, it went over the bulkier seams beautifully. 

I'll look, but not sure I could find it again....

Jessie

eta, your quilt is lovely
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2017, 09:22:29 AM »
I'd be interested to see that B15erk, can you look through your history to find it again ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2017, 09:24:53 AM »
Tis on my telephone Im, but I'll have a look.  Does Pinterest automatically update to my PC? 

I will look, it was gorgeous, and the lady made the quilts for charity.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2017, 09:42:44 AM »
OK.  Had a good ole rootle, and it turns out I got two quilts mixed up in my head.

First up is the QAYG tutorial : http://flutterkat.com/2012/01/my-quilt-as-you-go-process-tutorial-of/

The second is this little beauty, with the machine stitch quilting: http://mamaspark.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/my-charity-quilts.html

Jessie

Lowena

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2017, 09:47:36 AM »
Not getting any tutorial  :(
I delete my history from the computer after everytime I have used it, I thought everyone did  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »
Just checked Low, and both links seem to be working.  The second one, which I've just had a quick look at, has a lovely chenille quilt in blue, which looks soooo nice.

Makes me want to have a go....  ;)

Jessie

BrendaP

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2017, 10:19:22 AM »
Thank you for those links, they both open fine.

The QIYG one has seams through top layer and wadding which means double thickness of wadding at each join - that's not what I plan to do.  It also means that when the backing is applied you still have to get half the width of the quilt under the machine harp.  The reason for doing QAYG is to avoid that necessity!

The wavy lines between straight rows of stitches looks nice.  I did think about doing a row of fancy stitching along the centre of each strip; or maybe every other strip, but again it would mean going right to the edge of the sandwich and that can't be done as enough has to be left open in order to make the join.

I think it will have to be one of the random all-over FMQ patterns; either vermicelli sqiggles or loopy sqiggles, as once the next strip is done they can be taken over the seam to merge against what is already there.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2017, 19:14:02 PM »
I've been doing a test piece and I was wrong - you can (and maybe even should) quilt right up to the seam line.  Then wadding and backing are trimmed to match the top, which should be a straight line.  Then the next top strip is placed RS to RS and the next backing strip is placed RS to RS, so 5 layers, and stitch the seam with the usual 1/4 inch seam allowance.

The next bit is a bit fiddly as it has to be right.
Flip the backing open, place the second strip of wadding (which must have a straight edge!) over it and but up to the first strip of wadding and flip the second top strip over and pin the next bit of the sandwich.  Use plenty of safety pins near the join.  Quilt second strip. 

It is good to have quilting going right up to the seam as it holds the wadding securely in place, and taking FMQ over the seam helps blend it all in, but it doesn't have to go over.

So, maybe it's back to the previous plan of FMQ over the lights and parallel lines over the darks, but some  thought is needed about the direction those lines will take.

It's the first time I've used the 201  :vintage: for quilting so there's been a bit of experimenting.  She was happier with the feed dogs up and stitch length set to 0 than with the dogs down. The tension on the presser foot needs to be very low.

I tried with the old Singer hopping foot but didn't get on with it.  :'(  But, the modern Husqvarna open toe (low shank) foot I've used before fits and works well.  Best thing is that the stitch quality is so much better than I was getting with FMQ using the Husqvarna. 0_0

I've also had the Husqvarna walking foot on the 201 and it's OK.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 20:29:39 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Iminei

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2017, 19:32:16 PM »
I thought you weren't going  to use joining strips ???? ......

https://goo.gl/photos/bxFJsJMUvj6hT6as8

supergran

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2017, 20:40:52 PM »
These aren't sashing strips Imi, they are the pieced quilt sections. I've seen the very long winded video that Brenda was talking about and it seemed to work. The lady in the video almost sent me to sleep though and I found my mind wandering so well done Brenda for managing to follow it.

BrendaP

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2017, 20:50:59 PM »
Yes, the strips I'm referring to are strips made of blocks joined together, not sashing strips.

BrendaP

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2017, 20:34:31 PM »
It's finished! 0_0

QAYG in four strips/sections.  Quilt the first strip, trim all layers to match top and join second pieced strip and second backing strip, open it up and slide in the second strip of wadding - that is fiddly as you have to get the edges of the wadding firmly against each other - smooth it all, pin baste and quilt the second section.  Repeat as many times as necessary,

In the end I did FMQ squiggles aross the whole quilt using the (older) 201 with the modern Husqvarna spring darning/embroidery foot and the stitch length set to 0 rather than dropping the feed dogs.  It seems to work better that way.  By leaving varying gaps at the edge of one strip I could take the quilting across the joins and from the front there is nothing to tell you that it was QAYG.

It's not quite as big as the quilt on our bed; it was the length that looked most skimpy, but I had made a huge miscalculation in how many strips to cut and had masses left over so I made two pillow shams to match (and still have some strips left :S).  The local P&Q shop still had some of the blue backing fabric left but she said the orange binding fabric wasn't from her (Doughty's maybe?) so the binding on the pillow shams are a batik in a very similar colour.

Pillow shams - not put together like ordinary pillowcases.  I quilted the fronts and trimmed off the excess wadding and backing then bound one long edge.  Then I made the back; hemmed a short end, folded it over 6"  and then put wrong sides of back and front together and trimmed backing to match the fronts and then bound the other three sides covering piecing, wadding, backing and back.  As usual I used 2" strips for the binding and hand stitched the back of the binding down.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 22:27:24 PM by BrendaP »

Pearl

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2017, 21:12:40 PM »
Stunning, Brenda.  They are a very lucky couple.

Best wishes to them for a long and happy marriage.

supergran

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2017, 21:28:27 PM »
It's beautiful Brenda, and you can't see the joins at all! I've got to sit through that video and remind myself how it's done.  :(

Iminei

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2017, 09:04:24 AM »
Amazing and in just under the wire from the look of that label ....

Congratulations to them, but more importantly ... to you !

All hail Queen Brenda