The Sewing Place

Wedding Present

BrendaP

Wedding Present
« on: July 05, 2017, 21:35:00 PM »
I had a surprise phone call this afternoon; Terry's cousin and his partner of many years are getting married at the beginning of September 0_0

I'd like to make them a quilt for a wedding present but how ambitious can I be sizewise given that there's barely eight weeks to get it done in.  In other words how small can a quilt be and still be a proper quilt? -<

Initially I'm thinking of maybe one of Judy Martin's log cabin designs - all straight strips so no diagonals to cope with, but also they lend themselves to scrappy, using lots of fabrics so I could get stuck in straight away using stash.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

Re: Wedding Present
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 22:27:42 PM »
I don't know how soppy you want to be but uneven log cabin lends itself quite well to curves and hearts.
The other good thing about LC is it comes on quite quickly. I did 16 blocks at a one day workshop and I have the attention span of a gnat. It would be no problem to you.
The storm at sea block also lends itself to hearts if you want to go that way. I saw loads on Pinterest after looking at yours but I don't know how fast it comes together.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 22:29:22 PM »
Can't help with advice for the quilt I'm afraid, but what a lovely present. Difficult to find a suitable gift for an established household - a toaster really won't do!

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 23:50:16 PM »
What a lovely idea Brenda, at least the Maths won't cause you headaches. I think a log cabin sounds nice and homely, and, as you say you can begin straight away. Given a good 6 weeks and a straightforward pattern, a double should be manageable if you keep the quilting simple. The fun will be in choosing the colours / patterns from your stash  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 00:43:59 AM »
It's the quilting that scares me!  If I make it bed sized it will be too big to machine quilt in one piece and I've never tried QAYG.  I don't want to mess it up at the last minute :ninja: 

All the patterns in Judy Martin's log cabin book are based on 1.5" cut strips.  I'm thinking of a variation on either "Peaceful Valley" or "Sisters" and have spent all evening cutting strips of blues/greens/purples and creams and will probably do highlights of gold/yellow.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 06:43:32 AM »
It's the quilting that scares me!  If I make it bed sized it will be too big to machine quilt in one piece

How can that be ???? With your beautiful quilts ?? How did you quilt them ???

Im confused !!!

I wish you had been following the Mystery Quilt Brenda...
Its a super fast make and you would have all the blocks ready to assemble by now and it makes a beautiful quilt.

Pm me if you would like to see a pic...you could have it finished by the end of the month!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 06:49:12 AM »
The log cabin that Sakar did recently was very striking.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 07:31:29 AM »
How did you quilt them ???

Badly! :ninja:

The Shakespear in the Park monster was hand quilted - I won't have time for that.  A couple were tied, but that's cheating really and it's not really what I want.  Most of the others have been in the ditch but the stitching tends to wander either side of that ditch.

A couple of times I have managed the basic squiggley spaghetti type of FMQ but only on small pieces/border areas.  I know I couldn't do it in one go over the whole of a biggish quilt. 

Imi, If I make it up in sections and do QAYG what happens about the joins?  I know you have to leave the edges unquilted so that you can make the seams.  Does it remain unquilted either side of those seams?

Holly Berry

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 08:13:34 AM »
If you fancy a trip to Paddock Wood, Purple Pixie at the Hop Farm has a long arm. You have to do it yourself, but it may be an option.

Lovely idea for a wedding present.
Procrastination get behind me

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 08:24:39 AM »

https://goo.gl/photos/bxFJsJMUvj6hT6as8

No I quilt right to the edge of the pieces.

You can QAYG in multiple blocks, Quarters, thirds or halves.

Ruebens treasure Map quilt was quilted in (I think) 12 blocks

The HSTathon was quilted in thirds

and Lucias Black and White jobby will be quilted in halves.

All of these have visual allowance for the joining strips.
I have never QAYG'ed without them I'm afraid but understand the basic premise ...

Leave an inch unquilted on either edge of the pieces you want to join.
Trim the batting  to 1/4" less than the top on either side
Right sides together of the top and stitch ... and I have no idea how you stitch the bottom closed.

I do have the Ann Peterson (?) Craftsy class on Quilting Big Quilts on small machines, I could further investigate if you wished.

The mystery quilt can only be QAYG'ed if you add borders...Which I did with the one I gave my Auntie Gell, but the centre has to be quilted as a whole ...which it can as I did it!

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 08:27:20 AM »
I didn't know that!  It's an interesting idea, but it would probably take quite a long time to get comfortable using her machine.  At the moment I'm leaning towards FMQ squiggles, fairly widely spaced both for speed and to be less noticable at the joins.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 08:45:11 AM »
No I quilt right to the edge of the pieces.

so how do you do the join?

You can QAYG in multiple blocks, Quarters, thirds or halves.
I'm thinking probably quarters

All of these have visual allowance for the joining strips.
I have never QAYG'ed without them I'm afraid but understand the basic premise ...

Leave an inch unquilted on either edge of the pieces you want to join.
Trim the batting  to 1/4" less than the top on either side
Right sides together of the top and stitch

I understand about trimming ther wadding and sewing the top layer together with the regular 1/4" seam allowance, but I'm not sure what you mean about  visual allowance for the joining strips..
I don't want sashing on the front of the quilt.

... and I have no idea how you stitch the bottom closed.
:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:
My understanding from what I've read is that either it's hand stitched or there has to be one or two lines of machine stitching which shows on the front.

The mystery quilt can only be QAYG'ed if you add borders...Which I did with the one I gave my Auntie Gell, but the centre has to be quilted as a whole ...which it can as I did it!

The designs I'm thinking of are based on 10 inch blocks plus pieced borders 10" wide.  In the book she shows layouts for wall hangings with 4 blocks x 4 blocks which comes to a total of 60" x 60" or King size quilts 8 blocks x 8 blocks plus the borders which adds up to 100" x 100".  I'm thinking of maybe 6 blocks x 6 blocks plus the border = about 80" x 80".

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 08:54:17 AM »
The visual allowance means...
Reuben's quilt is set as blocks, bordered in the dark polka dot

The HSTathon had 72 unique HST blocks bordered in white so the joining strips used that white strip

Lucia's quilt has white columns in between the twist and turn strips, increasing in width as they progress to the sides of the quilt. I'm joining her quilt in the middle where the strip will be 1/2" ...

which is exactly the size of the finished joining strip !

If you don't want sashing, I can't help you I'm afraid.
Its something I've been meaning to do but you know how it is with comfort zones!

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »
Brenda, what a lovely idea!

The video I found most helpful for qayg, is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji8BLS2rNHA

Jenny at Missouri Star also does a good one.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 09:56:36 AM »
I saw somebody, I think it was Jenny Rayment, doing a tutorial where the sashing was only on the back in the same colour. She trimmed the wadding so as not to get "automatic folds". I think she did a wavy line and then matched the waves (same as wallpaper seams). I'm damned if I can find it but I remember at the time that it made perfact sense. I'll try and hunt it down...I may be some time.  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!