The Sewing Place

I spy a vintage machine...on Instagram

Marniesews

I spy a vintage machine...on Instagram
« on: July 06, 2017, 16:59:24 PM »
I hope you don't feel hoodwinked by a misleading description here with no photos...but of course, since before I actually bought my 201s, I'd already been sucked into the I spy vintage game. It's irresistible but then what do you do with that memory (soon confused memories in my jumbled mind) or the photo that you take which at best may find its way into a post but then... -<

I've been inspired by my DD's own Instagram record of the books she reads, so I've decided to start a new public account specifically for the vintage machines I keep spotting - not least because my OH has got sucked in - he spent a good 10 minutes yesterday looking at a Singer 66K with the lotus decals and then looking up the serial number on his phone! Early signs of bug infection, I think - don't you?

It would be a nice record for me, I think, and may be of interest to others when their own I spy game isn't having much luck. I don't really use Instagram effectively, mostly for following others, so I've refused most requests from friends and others as Facebook is quite enough. DD says she'll go through the hashtag business with me to help me get into other vintage machine IG circles. Now I've to get a new email set up and decide on my user name (any suggestions?).

Ispyvintage
Turnandtreadle
Sewhistorical  or is that sewhysterical?
Mouse&machine (Cissie on the profile picture?)

For some reason my DD is still laughing at the last one - a bit rich since she gave me the mouse for Mother's Day.  :[

Does anyone else here use Instagram for their sewing related interests?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Roger

Re: I spy a vintage machine...on Instagram
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 20:53:31 PM »
Id maybe go for ISpyVintage.

I dont use Instagram tbh... but you could have a weekly: 'WTF is that?' and grab some truly awful photography from Gumtree...

There are some classics there.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 21:42:31 PM »
No, I'm not a very advanced phone user. I tend to use the basic browser on my laptop, usually ebay, a local auction site, and the various vintage resourses around. Gumtree is nice, but I don't have access to it like you have within UK; probalby just as well because there's lot of the same stuff locally around.

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 22:15:59 PM »
... you could have a weekly: 'WTF is that?' and grab some truly awful photography from Gumtree...There are some classics there.

Your idea sounds a lot of fun, Roger, but I'm not sure I could carry it off. My chances of identification would soon mark me out as a know nothing newbie!  :| I foresee my new account as a little record of what I've seen wih the potential interest of following some other IG vintage fans as I'm sure there'll be plenty of machines that I photograph which I can't identify myself - so don't be surprised if I'm asking you guys too.  :)

Why don't you start an ongoing WTF thread here and we can all contribute? It would help us all improve our ID skills.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

arrow

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 22:55:18 PM »
...I'm not sure I could carry it off. My chances of identification would soon mark me out as a know nothing newbie!...

You can't really go wrong with a vintage machine. If you choose a black straight stitcher they usually just need a bit (or a lot) of cleaning and oiling and they are up and running. If you choose an electrical model, check the insulation before you plug it in; assume anything pre 1950s need rewiring. Machines from the 50s can be fine, most from the 60's still are; but needs a good check. PVC is still in good condition if it has been stored in a case or cabinet. Most dometic machines are not used very hard, and if they look nice they have usually seen light use. If you feel enthusiastic about a model, you will probalby not mind spending a bit of time and effort on sorting it out or having it in for service.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 23:27:09 PM »
Sorry, arrow, I wasn't being too clear. When I said I couldn't carry it off, I meant that I'm too new at this to be doing an Instagram feature on bad photos of machines (such as the WTF one that Roger suggested) when I still can't  recognise many of the ones I see in real life.

I'm not doing that well in sorting out the date of a Frister+Rossmann (subject of this post ) so I think Roger's fun idea would work much better as a feature on this forum.  :)

Roger

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 23:46:57 PM »
May be I will but i do need to stop looking at gumtree... its dangerous. :)

although a USO from gumtree or Ebay isnt hard to find :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 23:54:41 PM »
Only goes to prove my lack of knowledge....USO?

Roger

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 06:39:10 AM »
:vintage:A USO is an Unidentified Sewing Object....
:sew:
TBH I made that up then forgot to explain it.

Quite a bit of the time there is no identifying a gumtree USO...

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 19:51:39 PM »
Well, I'm up and running with my vintage sewing machine account on Instagram called @mouseandmachine

Only 2 posts so far containing 12 images that you guys have probably seen before but it's a start & lots of other pics of lovely ones on there from just a brief perusal. It's not a forum though so just an extension not competition.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 20:57:02 PM »
I don't really get Instagram - I thought it was a way to put pics on facebook - or that seems to be what some of my friends do...

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 21:54:07 PM »
Let me start off straight away by saying loudly, 'I'm no expert'  0_0 but I'd describe it as being primarily image based although links can be included in the post or comments. Posts can be public, private or limited to followers. You can search for other public posts based on the hashtags that posters enter so I've used things like #oldsingersewingmachines #vintagesewingmachines and the like.

You can use hashtags to search for other images and find other posts likely to be of interest. You can follow the associated accounts but with the new m&m account I'll only be looking for stuff related to vintage sewing machines and won't get all the cr*p that you're bombarded with on Facebook and can't hide until after the event.

I'm sure you can make Instagram more social than interest-focused based on how you set it up and use it as you are following posters rather than a 'friend' and they don't necessarily follow you back, or you them. I soon stopped accepting follower requests from my Facebook friends on my personal account as I wanted to use it for stuff unrelated to Facebook but I do follow sewing related posters (I follow them but they don't follow me). I'll be more on the lookout for fellow machine fanciers with mouseandmachine and happy for them to follow me too.

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 02:06:44 AM »
Here's one that caught my eye although the style of the decals,  logo & name banner look a little incongruous. There are 6 pictures from different angles but not a lot of information about the machine.

Manuela

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 02:40:30 AM »
Found you on Instagram  :)

Marniesews

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 02:59:51 AM »
Just noticed. Been admiring your work! Really love all your feature collars.   <3