The Sewing Place

Holiday quilting - finishing UFO's

datcat23

Holiday quilting - finishing UFO's
« on: July 07, 2017, 06:08:31 AM »
Its school holidays at the moment, and hubby has taken the car a couple of times this week, so I have been splitting my time between winter decluttering, and sewing.  First up was finishing a couple of UFO's.

First up is  a top I made up last year.  I decided that my mother would probably love this as a lap quilt, so I finished it off with a scrap border, and then simple wavy line quilting.

Missouri Star quilt by Dani, on Flickr
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

datcat23

Re: Holiday quilting - finishing UFO's
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 06:09:54 AM »
And second, is a set of placemats.

These were purchased at a charity store; 4 embroidered pieces of linen, in two different sizes.  I am not sure what they were, perhaps out of a sample book?  The edges were overlocked in clear thread (fishing line?) and there were bits of glue on the edges.  I decided they would make a great set of placemats for my dining table.  I didn't want to quilt over the embroidery, so was forced to face my nemesis ..... free motion quilting.  Yep, still hate it. 

Embroidered Linen Placemats by Dani, on Flickr
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 06:46:12 AM »
Definitely sample book pieces...
and what a clever cat you is making something beautiful from them!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 09:54:28 AM »
'Simple' wavy line quilting?
Please, how do you get your pairs of wavy lines to 'wave' in the same direction?

and how do you 'wave' without free machining?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 10:48:26 AM »
Lovely Dani ..particularly like the Missouri star colours
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

datcat23

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 11:11:26 AM »
'Simple' wavy line quilting?
Please, how do you get your pairs of wavy lines to 'wave' in the same direction?

and how do you 'wave' without free machining?

Hey there Sewingsue, I draw the wavy lines using a wave edge ruler.  I then follow the lines using the walking foot.  After a while you get into a bit of a rhythm.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 11:27:56 AM »
There is always that thing that comes in the accessory box of every machine for quilting parallel lines.  Once you have the first line I would think you could use that so you don't need to mark every line.  I used one for the first time ever on my log cabin quilt for diagonal lines but they weren't wavy.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 11:50:04 AM »
I think I need a ruler like that just because it's a lovely thing... all wavy...  :|
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »
I think I need a ruler like that just because it's a lovely thing... all wavy...  :|
Ooo, gadgets, gotta love a new gadget  :D
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

datcat23

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 14:45:09 PM »

This was actually on the second ever ruler I had bought, and its done me fine.  I tend to use the "bigger/longer" wave side.  I tend to find the smaller ones are a bit tight for the walking foot to negotiate.  I find these are a simple way to quilt a log cabin or 9 patch ..... just enough to hold down all the seams.  I don't even measure, I just eyeball it, and then draw the lines in with chalk (dark fabrics) or water erasable pen (light fabrics). 

It creates a nice effect .... this is just strips of xmas fabric, with some wool batting and insulbrite batting, made into a trivet/bread basket.

Trivet/Bread Basket by Dani, on Flickr