The Sewing Place

Help please - fabric printing

Lizzielogs

Help please - fabric printing
« on: July 08, 2017, 12:12:36 PM »
Hi
Has anyone used a fabric printing service in the UK?
By that I mean if you have a design could you get it printed on cotton canvas by the meter??
If you have, is it easy and would you have any recommendations of where to go please??
Best case scenario would be someone on here does it but my luck might not run to that!!

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions you might have

Trudi x

Snowgoose

Re: Help please - fabric printing
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:50:14 PM »
I have used here just the once http://www.wovenmonkey.com It is very expensive, but I had something I only wanted a small piece of to make up for a present! 

The fabric was lovely, bright and with a soft handle - I had a lightweight cotton.

I'm sure there must be cheaper places to have your own fabric printed but for just a small, special piece this would be my 'go-to' shop  8)

Hope this helps  :)

Lizzielogs

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 13:07:24 PM »
I have used here just the once http://www.wovenmonkey.com It is very expensive, but I had something I only wanted a small piece of to make up for a present! 

Hope this helps  :)

Thank you I have just had a look on there and it is FAR less than buying it in the US! Thank you very much x

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:57:06 AM »
I think Spoonflower now ship out of Germany so it's cheaper than it used to be.

Lizzielogs

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 12:19:40 PM »
I think Spoonflower now ship out of Germany so it's cheaper than it used to be.

They do Efemera, I have ordered the fabric which comes to £27 a meter  :devil:! Thank goodness I'm not paying for it!!

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 01:48:43 AM »
A caution about Spoonflower's cotton fabrics. I used their cotton sateen to make a trench coat (my first Alice in Wonderland coat) and it faded badly with each wash - even though I used all the tricks of the trade trying to prevent it. After 4 washes it looked so ratty, it became unwearable  :(
I made a new one using their faux suede, it came out unchanged after washing.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:48:05 AM by Manuela »

Lizzielogs

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 07:22:57 AM »
A cautiin about Spoomflowers cotton fabrics. I used their cotton sateen to make a trench coat (my first Alice in Wonderland coat) and it faded badly with each wash - even though I used all the tricks of the trade trying to prevent it. After 4 washes it looked so ratty, it became unwearable  :(
I made a new one using their faux suede, it came out unchanged after washing.

Thanks for the heads up Manuela, I will be making a handbag and a shoebag with the fabric so am hoping they won't see the inside of a washing machine. I have gone for the dearer option of cotton - may have been drill but I was so horrified at the price my mind went blank after pressing the 'buy' button, so hope I will be OK. My only concern really is that it's a decent weight fabric.

Samantha

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 11:47:40 AM »
I made a skirt (Alice in Wonderland too!) with Spoonflower cotton and it washes fine. I thought woven monkey were one of the cheaper ones when I've looked before? I have used BeFaBeCreative, based in Scotland, there weren't cheap (it was a present from my H and kids) but their customer service was great and the fabric has washed well.

Manuela

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 11:50:28 AM »
I made a skirt (Alice in Wonderland too!) with Spoonflower cotton and it washes fine.

Oooooooh, I'd so love to see a picture of your skirt (huge Alice in Wonderland fan here)....  :)

Samantha

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 11:58:13 AM »
Here you go (it's not my design I should add)

https://deluxezigzag.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/were-all-mad-here-skirt/

Have you been to Alice's Adventures Underground in London? My friend went and said it was excellent, might have to try and go.

https://www.alice-underground.com/

** just seen you're in Hong Kong so probably not!  0_0 **

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 14:01:29 PM »
Here you go (it's not my design I should add)

https://deluxezigzag.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/were-all-mad-here-skirt/

Have you been to Alice's Adventures Underground in London? My friend went and said it was excellent, might have to try and go.

https://www.alice-underground.com/

** just seen you're in Hong Kong so probably not!  0_0 **

Thanks for the link of the skirt. I'll make a pencil skirt for my stepdaughter from the leftover coat fabric. She had one from the original coat fabric, but that also looked unsightly after a few washes due to fading. I used the organic cotton sateen for my first bdw.
Would love to go to the Alice in Wonderland thingy, but the next time we'll go to the UK will be in October, and to Bristol only to visit Mr Manuela's parents.

Samantha

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 12:30:43 PM »
Ah that's a shame. I hope you will post pics of the skirt when it's made and the coat you've already made? Would love to see them.

Manuela

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 14:13:16 PM »
Here are pictures of the coat, you'll have to wait a bit for the skirt. My priority at the moment is selfish sewing  :devil:

Samantha

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 15:30:14 PM »
That's fabulous! Selfish sewing should always be a priority in my book!

wrenkins

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 15:51:49 PM »
Oh wow! You pattern matched the words!!!!!!!  :o
Fab! (Another Alice fan here).
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!